    Feel rather foolish having to ask... but...

    I know the motherboard part number from the box it came in, but that's it.

    Anyone?

    bbb, Apr 26, 2008

  2. bbb

    Sqwertz Guest

    You mean which one you have installed, not which one you're going to
    install?

    Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager.

    Then expand the "Display Adaptor" category.

    -sw

    Sqwertz, Apr 26, 2008

  3. bbb

    chuckcar Guest

    Look in your main board manual (a little 3x5 booklet with what probably
    seems a cryptic title) if you don't have a separate card. If you do,
    look at the box for it. If neither of these work, you will have to shut
    down the computer and remove the video card. Look at the largest chips
    on it. Do *not* touch any of the chips or their leads!

    chuckcar, Apr 26, 2008
  4. bbb

    bbb Guest

    Oh if only it were that simple! I recieve the following information:
    Video Controller (vga compatable)
    Device type: other devices
    Location: Unknown
    Location: PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0

    Device status:
    the drivers for this devie are not installed (code28)

    to reinstall the drivers for this device, click reinstall driver.

    of course clicking on reinstalling driver gets me no where as it can't
    find it on the internet, or it asks me to locate the driver on my system
    or insert the disc containing the driver.

    Hence my original question.

    Anyone?

    bbb, Apr 26, 2008
  5. bbb

    chuckcar Guest

    It's not *my* problem. Reply to the OP. Besides there is *absolutely*
    nothing wrong with what I suggested.

    chuckcar, Apr 26, 2008
  6. bbb

    bbb Guest

    Sadly that didn't give me any info on the video adapter. Under
    'display' the result was 'none detected'.

    I take it that is the category that would show the type of vid adapter
    right? nothing else leapt out at me - no 'ati' or any recognizable name
    like that.

    sigh.

    interesting report though.

    bbb, Apr 27, 2008
  7. bbb

    chuckcar Guest

    I *did* specify other options. If you need to know what something is, the
    simplest way of doing it is by looking at it. Besides *someone* installed that
    card in the computer. Do you thnk *they* were in a clean room? Besides, answering to
    a noob here is hardly what I would consider justified or worth my time. Bugger off.
    We're not talking about removing the CPU here. Obviously you have
    absolutely *no* knowledge of computer hardware. I say again, If you have
    an idea, give it to the OP I have no interest in you ideas.

    chuckcar, Apr 27, 2008
  8. bbb

    Phat Sam Guest

    I typically tell the device manager to remove the driver for the
    device in Question (uninstall, etc.) then use Add/Remove Hardware to
    search for new devices, this will usually pop up a window that says
    "Windows has found new hardware", then display the name obtained from
    the PNP device. If the device is not PNP your pretty much screwed
    then.... However, if you want a general company name, usually you can
    go to DOS, type DEBUG, then D C000:0 and view the hex display to find
    any copyright notice, eg. Hit D and enter 2 more times on my system
    and I see a line that says NVIDIA GeForce2 MX VGA BIOS

    Etc.

    If neither of the two methods work, your next option is to open up the
    case, Rip out the Video Card, shine a flash light on the CHIPS and
    tell us what the chip number and company names are on the chips to
    attempt to ID the card....

    Phat Sam, Apr 28, 2008