    a way to check if someone is using mine? A guest had linked onto someone
    else's network here once. That person somehow "kicked" him off. I know
    nothing about how that all wortks. Any ideas?

    Guest, Apr 21, 2006

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Would need to know brand and model of wireless router that you are using for
    specific instructions. Most routers have an administration port, normally #1
    that you can use a web browser to manage the router. From there you can view
    the wireless connections, plus setup security so that only your PC/laptop can
    access the wireless port. Again specific instructions depend on model or
    router, but would be detailed in the instruction manual.

    Guest, Apr 21, 2006

  3. If your wireless access point/router is properly secured you won't have
    anyone on your network. With that said you can monitor your wireless network
    with AirSnare...

    http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

    What wireless access point/router do you have?

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Apr 22, 2006
  4. Yep, if you THINK that may be happening:

    1) Do a check of the available wireless access points near to you through
    your computer. There may be a new one using the same channel as you. If so,
    change channels.

    2) If that isn't the case and you still suspect as you said, then find out
    the MAC numbers of all the wireless NICs that you want to access your router
    and then set up access control which, if your router does it, is done
    through it's interface. Allow access only to your own NICs.

    3) If you don't have any form of protection - WPA, WEP, whatever - at all,
    then you need to do that. Do it NOW.

    None of the above keeps a person out who knows what they are doing but if
    you have an opportunistic moocher feeding off you who isn't all that
    computer literate, then it WILL keep that person out.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Apr 22, 2006