  1. Donna

    Jim Watt Guest

    Are these ridden by universal soldiers?

    Jim Watt, May 21, 2008

  2. Donna

    G. Morgan Guest

    [slap]

    I should have listened to Kayman when he advised to ignore you. Better late
    than never.

    G. Morgan, May 21, 2008

  3. Donna

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Why do such idiots even come here for discussion if they can't stand arguments?

    Sebastian G., May 21, 2008
  4. Donna

    Kayman Guest

    You don't have to be so hostile if you feel the post is not suitable to
    your tastes. You seem to be susceptible to the attitudes, feelings, or
    circumstances of others. Try to keep your emotions in check; You would
    screw up the context of anything for your purpose of argument. Not an
    intelligent approach.
    You arrogant, pretentious and condescending swine.
    Well, you're not very original. You're so full of shit I doubt any of your
    bodily cavity are functioning (this explains why you can't stick your
    useless messages anywhere and continue polluting newsgroups).
    "You half-witted insignificant gob of rancid mucus."
    (Courtesy: the good people from Monty Python).
    LOL, I just feel off the oil drum I'm sitting on. Any true self-respecting
    outback person would rip off your head and shit in your neck!
    You probably met somebody called Herr or Frau Kraut living in the 'Wannsee'
    area which you as Berlin Insulaner consider JWD or janz weit draussen.
    (For the non-Krauts; Wannsee = a lake in the Berlin area, Insulaner =
    referred to the denizens of Berlin due to the isolation caused during the
    early stages of the cold war, janz weit draussen = beyond the black stump
    or outback).
    Rubbish (see my previous post in this thread)!
    What *you* don't understand is that Berlin ain't the center of the
    universe. Herr Adolph didn't succeed nor will you.

    The reason non-technical people listing their problems in (pertinent)
    newsgroups is because they're crying out for help and guidance; Something
    you never ever provide except hideous snipes, insults and encrypted
    remarks. The good people residing/working in remote areas don't need your
    empty rhetoric; They are mostly working with limited resources. All they
    care about to get their machine running again and that's where David's
    Multi-AV *is* the next best thing to re-install the OS [PERIOD]!
    They don't give damn about your overbearing bunk because it's just not
    feasible for them to do anything more 'sophisticated'. Flattening/wiping
    the HDD and re-installing the OS would most probably shut them off from the
    rest of the world for good or at least until professional help is
    available, which in some instances could take many months.

    Heck, to the horror of some German car mechanics ("das geht doch nicht" -
    "you can't do that"), we used bananas to "lubricate" the gearbox of our VW
    bus which kept us going to the next garage which was about 2000 miles away.
    If it was up to those morons we'd still be in the middle of nowhere
    (Africa).

    Kayman, May 22, 2008
  5. From: "John Mason Jr" <>

    | <snip>
    |
    | SG normally raises the same point, and you might not like it but it is
    | true.
    |
    | If a machine has been compromised/infected, and you rely on signature
    | based cleaning/detection methods then you cannot be sure you are not
    | still compromised.
    |
    | The correct way to recover is to restore from known good media, and then
    | make sure that you patch the vulnerability that allowed the compromise
    | in the first place
    |
    | If you accept the risk that you may still be compromised then go ahead
    | and use signature based solutions.
    |
    | John

    First you have to define "compramised".

    Is a system compramised if you have a Gain/Gator malware infection or NYB virus on a FAT32
    based system ?

    David H. Lipman, May 22, 2008
  6. Donna

    Kayman Guest

    John,
    Please read (or re-read) my post dated 20-May-08 10:28:12PM in this thread
    :)

    Kayman, May 23, 2008
  7. Donna

    Sebastian G. Guest

    I do, by pointing out bogus advise.

    Sebastian G., May 23, 2008
  8. Donna

    Sebastian G. Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    trivial: system is not in a well defined state

    Gain/Gator is not malware, at least it shows no sign of being so. For the
    NYB virus, it definitely is compromised, since it's not in a wel-defined
    state anymore. You could at most detect what programs it has changed, but
    hardly which settings and data were modified.

    Then again, a FAT32-based should already be considered as a big security
    problem that was most likely already exploited.

    Sebastian G., May 23, 2008
  9. From: "Sebastian G." <>

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    | trivial: system is not in a well defined state
    | Gain/Gator is not malware, at least it shows no sign of being so. For the
    | NYB virus, it definitely is compromised, since it's not in a wel-defined
    | state anymore. You could at most detect what programs it has changed, but
    | hardly which settings and data were modified.
    |
    | Then again, a FAT32-based should already be considered as a big security
    | problem that was most likely already exploited.

    I think you are COMPLETELY wrong.

    Gain/Gator is adware spyware and it is malware.

    NYB is a simple boot sector infector. The data and the system is NOT compramised. We are
    not talking about a Backdoor Trojan, Password stealer or a multi-facted Trojan using rootkit
    techniques.

    David H. Lipman, May 23, 2008
  10. Donna

    Sebastian G. Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    Aside from some few spurios claims, there's currently no indication for
    that. I'd still consider it as typically undesired software, since it
    implements functionality which actively breaks the normal usage of its
    hosting software.

    Which implies that it had root privileges.
    Wrong, we're talking about exactly this, since such software has most likely
    compromised the system due to the very same security vulnerability NYB had
    used, or has even dropped NYB in first place. Even further, until you do a
    complete comparison against a trusted base, there's no indication that the
    malware is exactly and solely the known variant of NYB. Thus, the system
    should be clearly considered as compromised.

    But considering that you're abusing MSOE as a newsreader, it's painfully
    obvious that you have no clue about security.

    Sebastian G., May 23, 2008
  11. From: "Sebastian G." <>

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    | Aside from some few spurios claims, there's currently no indication for
    | that. I'd still consider it as typically undesired software, since it
    | implements functionality which actively breaks the normal usage of its
    | hosting software.
    | Which implies that it had root privileges.

    No, it does not.

    | Wrong, we're talking about exactly this, since such software has most likely
    | compromised the system due to the very same security vulnerability NYB had
    | used, or has even dropped NYB in first place. Even further, until you do a
    | complete comparison against a trusted base, there's no indication that the
    | malware is exactly and solely the known variant of NYB. Thus, the system
    | should be clearly considered as compromised.
    |
    | But considering that you're abusing MSOE as a newsreader, it's painfully
    | obvious that you have no clue about security.

    Your POV is all wrong. It is not the ssytem of concern, its the data. The system has no
    value, the data on the system has worth and value. You said "...since it's not in a
    wel-defined state anymore..." but legitimate software can also change the state. it is the
    data's safety that leads to the conclusion that a system is compramised. If a system is
    compramised the dat, not the system, is at risk.

    I am not abusing MSOE. I use it in combination with Fidolook and it makes up for MSOE's
    short comings. Don't change the subject! What you are doing is redirection.

    NYB is well defined, constrained and finite. The system is NOT compramised, it doesn't have
    "priveledges". It is easily removed and the data is is not at-risk on an infected media. A
    system with NYB does not get compramised. On the otherhand a system with a password
    stealing trojan is indeed, compramised.

    David H. Lipman, May 23, 2008
  12. Donna

    Sebastian G. Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    It does. Writing to the boot sector requires either write access to
    \Device\PhysicalDriveX or \Device\VolumeX\DR0, both of which imply
    Administrator group membership, or SeRestorePrivilege, which is granted only
    to Administrator group, or would be equivalent to Administrator privileges
    (since one could change ACLs or overwrite system binaries on the raw disk).

    The system integrity has direct implications on all data, both the stored
    ones and the processes ones. Where exactly is access to my private Pr0n
    collection a bigger issue than the system forwarding my entered online
    banking password to some Ukraine stranger?

    Hint: What's the difference between "state" and "well-defined" state?
    Nonsense. A system can be compromised without having changed any data yet,
    though the data are still in danger that such a thing happens in the future.

    Such, like, a header line longer than 8192 byte triggering a direct buffer
    overflow and therefore immediate compromise just by marking (not even
    reading) a posting?

    The necessary circumstances aren't, unless you're discussing purely
    artificial setups.

    Sebastian G., May 24, 2008
  13. Donna

    Jim Watt Guest

    I don't think that either David Lipman or myself
    are 'average users'.

    Jim Watt, May 27, 2008
  14. Donna

    PeroPeroHop Guest

    where's Brendon?

    PeroPeroHop, May 29, 2008
  15. Donna

    Dustin Cook Guest

    Ouch... That's probably not a good thing.
    Maybe it's not for your computer?
    Depending on the version, it's storing a copy on your computer; if it's
    installed there. Not my place to say why it may be present on your
    computer, but it's worth noting that previous versions basically did a
    snapshot, so anything you do, is copied. Chat sessions, email, web surfing,
    and no, you can't erase it from those programs easily.
    If it's on that computer, and properly installed, under normal conditions,
    you shouldn't notice it's presence.

    Dustin Cook, Jun 3, 2008