    how can i delete my own messages (old messages) from a newsgroup?
    permanently deleted so that it will not be searcheable by
    http://groups.google.com

    weng cheong, Nov 23, 2004

  2. weng cheong

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | how can i delete my own messages (old messages) from a newsgroup?
    | permanently deleted so that it will not be searcheable by
    | http://groups.google.com

    SOL

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2004

  3. weng cheong

    °Mike° Guest

    You can't delete messages that have already been
    posted around the world's news servers, or archived
    on Google groups, but you can avoid further posts
    from being archived by using the "X-No-Archive: yes"
    header. You need to add the following to your Netscape /
    Mozilla prefs.js

    user_pref("mailnews.customHeaders", "X-No-Archive:yes");

    You should now have the extra header in the drop-down.

    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2004
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 23, 2004
  5. weng cheong

    G. Morgan Guest

    24hoursupport.helpdesk

    You can remove posts from Google's archive:

    http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html#9

    # How can I remove articles from Google's archive?

    Google will honor requests to remove messages that you have posted
    yourself (known as nuking a post). You may even be able to do this
    yourself using our Automatic Removal Tool. Please find the
    circumstance below that applies to you and follow the instructions
    there.

    * Messages posted from your current e-mail address

    If the email address you used to post your message(s) is still
    active, we recommend you use our Automatic Removal Tool. This is the
    fastest and easiest way to have your posts removed. Note- that in
    order to use this option, you must be able to send and receive email
    using the same account from which your messages were originally posted
    to Usenet.
    * Messages posted with an e-mail address that is no longer valid

    If you would like to request the removal of posts made by you,
    but the email address from which you posted is no longer valid, you
    may send an e-mail to that contains the
    following items:

    o your full name and contact information, including an email
    address that can be verified;
    o the complete Google Groups URL (or message ID) for each
    individual message you would like to have suppressed;
    o a statement that says "I swear under penalty of civil or
    criminal laws that I am the person who posted each of the foregoing
    messages or am authorized to request removal by the person who posted
    those messages."; and
    o your signature (electronic).

    To prevent articles from being added to the Google Groups index in
    the future, add 'X-No-Archive: yes' in the header of the article when
    you post. If your news posting software does not allow you to edit
    headers, type 'X-No-Archive: yes' as the first line of your post.

    * Messages posted by other people

    By its very nature, Usenet consists of information posted by
    many people. Google does not monitor or control the content of this
    information. Instead, we simply provide access to the public forum in
    which people post their comments.

    Accordingly, if you are concerned about a message that someone has
    posted, you need to resolve that problem directly with the person who
    posted it. Except in extreme circumstances, Google will not act upon
    an individual's request to remove another person's messages. We firmly
    believe it is not Google's role to resolve disputes among the users
    who have posted millions of messages on Usenet, nor would it be
    possible to fulfill that role if we chose to undertake it.

    It is Google's policy to respond to notices of alleged
    infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act in
    an appropriate manner under such Act and other applicable intellectual
    property laws, including the removal or disabling of access to
    material claimed to be the subject of infringing activity. For more
    information, see our Terms of Service.

    G. Morgan, Nov 23, 2004
  6. weng cheong

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2004
  7. You're welcome. Everybody Weng Cheong tonight.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 23, 2004
  8. Everybody was Weng Cheong fighting
    Those kids were fast as lightning

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 23, 2004
  9. weng cheong

    Voltardo Guest

    This didn't work for me..I copied the script into notepad then I was
    stumped on what to save the file as. So I named it user_prefs.js. Please
    set me straight on this. I am, in other areas. Thanks!

    <snip>

    Voltardo, Nov 23, 2004
  10. weng cheong

    WormWood Guest

    <snip>

    you can avoid further posts
    Never mind, got it sussed. TA

    WormWood, Nov 23, 2004
  11. "prefs.js" should be, I would think. You might want to save an unaltered
    backup copy of the file first.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 23, 2004
  12. weng cheong

    °Mike° Guest

    As Rôgêr said, it's "prefs.js", and MAKE A BACKUP!

    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2004
  13. weng cheong

    WormWood Guest

    Thanks, Rôgêr, I'm sure that will work real nice.

    WormWood, Nov 23, 2004
  14. weng cheong

    WormWood Guest

    Thanks, °Mike°, it works. I was confused as to whether to add the script
    to the existing file or to create a new one containing just that one
    snippet of script. Cheers

    WormWood, Nov 23, 2004
  15. weng cheong

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2004
  16. weng cheong

    Morgan Humphreys

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2015
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    In regards to Google's Usenet archive, you used to be able to delete ('nuke') a post if you still had access to the email address it was sent from or could get a court order that it was your email. This possibility was removed without explanation sometime around 2011, and some deleted messages were resurrected by mistake a few years before that.

    If you're European, you can have posts you wrote and posts you are cited in delinked from searches for your name by arguing that they are no longer relevant. Be prepared to appeal to your local DPA if Google is unwilling to delink requests. The DPAs will probably support you if the material is old and pose a problem for you.

    https://support.google.com/legal/contact/lr_eudpa?product=websearch

    List of European DPAs (for appeals)
    http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm

    Morgan Humphreys, Aug 30, 2015