How to create DVD-Audio disc

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Kryptoknight, May 31, 2004.

  1. Kryptoknight

    Richard C. Guest

    Do you agree, based on his posts, that he has no clue what a DVD-Audio
    track actually is?
    Compared to DD/DTS?

    He even asked me in one post: "what do you mean by from DVD-A".

    That is the whole point of confusion.

    He is merely copying CDs to a DVD-Audio disc.
    He is NOT copying DVD-Audio tracks.

    He would be smarter to just copy them to a regular DVD-R disc.
    He could then play them in all DVD players.

    Oh well...............
    =================================
    : Richard C. wrote:
    : >
    : > But a DVD with Audio created from DD and DTS is NOT DVD-Audio
    format.
    :
    : Why not?
    :
    : Mike
    :
    :

    Richard C., Jun 4, 2004

  2. Kryptoknight

    Mike Kohary Guest

    That's a good question, but that aside, are you now conceding that he could
    indeed create a DVD-A disc if he wanted to? Even if it's kind of pointless,
    he could do it, yes? :)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Kryptoknight

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Rich has a good point, though. You can do everything you want to do by
    making a DVD-V instead of a DVD-A, and have more compatibility as well. Why
    do you want to make a DVD-A in particular? Maybe just because you can? ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 4, 2004
  4. Kryptoknight

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Those were never his points, so you're trying to clarify something that's
    moot.

    You were claiming it was impossible for him to make a DVD-A, at all. I
    thought the same thing at first, but that's simply false.

    As for your continued harping on the source material, that argument truly
    mystifies me. The source has absolutely nothing to do with the format of
    the final product. I could make a DVD by farting into a cell phone if I
    really wanted to, and it would still be a DVD. ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 4, 2004
  5. Kryptoknight

    Mike Kohary Guest

    If the content format of the disc is DVD-A, it is DVD-A, period. All these
    other conditions you're placing on the format are arbitrary and irrelevant.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 4, 2004
  6. Kryptoknight

    Mike Kohary Guest

    No, DVD-A is a content format spec. That's all.
    The source is irrelevant. When it's burned to disc, it'll be at DVD-A
    format spec, making it DVD-A, period. This is not hard to understand.
    Again, the source is irrelevant. What's he's doing is completely analogous
    to copying a VHS tape to DVD video. The final spec is what counts.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 4, 2004
  7. Kryptoknight

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Richard, don't piggyback on Rich's arguments. He clearly understands the
    issue, while you clearly do not. He's asking what the point of this project
    is; you're claiming the OP isn't making DVD-A at all and that it's not
    possible for him to do so.

    Are you conceding that your original point was wrong?

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 4, 2004
  8. Kryptoknight

    Mike Kohary Guest

    No, I don't agree. He seems to understand exactly what DVD-Audio is. You
    are the one who seems to have no clue what a DVD-Audio track actually is.

    You're also avoiding the question: why is a DVD with audio created from DD
    and DTS necessarily not DVD-Audio format?
    Perhaps, but that's not the point you were making.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 4, 2004
  9. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    1) copying directly to dvd-r disc will not play in my TL (as far as i know
    thus far). when on dvd media it needs to be dvd-a format (so far that'd what
    i've found, i'm trying to see if i can trick the player into thinking it's
    reading CDA off of a dvd-r media.....

    2) i wanted to be able to burn dvd-a so i could rip 5.1 from other sources,
    be it "low res" audio or whatever, i could then listen to true 5.1 in my TL.

    Kryptoknight, Jun 4, 2004
  10. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    so i could rip 5.1 from other sources.

    i'm not 100% that my TL can play anything other than dvd-a off of dvd
    media..... i'm testing that.

    Kryptoknight, Jun 4, 2004
  11. Ahhh...but it's clear you don't understand people with massive head
    injuries. These are the same people that would say that Edison cylinders
    recorded onto a Red-book compliant CD is still not really a CD.
    Stupidity at its best.

    Urra Dipschitt, Jun 4, 2004
  12. Kryptoknight

    Mike Kohary Guest

    You're right, I have problems understanding people with massive head
    injuries. ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 4, 2004
  13. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    i think Urra was replying to the Richard C. post, not yours....

    we can end this thread, my dvd-a burning techniques work just fine, i'm
    happy with that...

    Kryptoknight, Jun 4, 2004
  14. And he knows that - look again. Mike's about the only one who ain't
    pissin' in the wind on this one.
    Congrats. It's an awesome new format REGARDLESS of what the source
    material is. Enjoy!

    Urra Dipschitt, Jun 4, 2004
  15. Kryptoknight

    Richard C. Guest

    : Richard C. wrote:
    : > : >> because you didn't read every post, and i understand.
    : >>
    : >> i want to put 36 albums (6 cda "pcm" cd's per dvd) in my 6-cd
    : >> changer in my dvd-a compliant cd/am/fm/cassette radio in my car.
    : >>
    : >> i believe Mike Kohary understands very well and has posted the
    basic
    : >> points that:
    : >> 1) i can create dvd-a discs at home, using normal dvd-r media,
    : >> discWelder Bronze, and my LG super-multi dvd burner.
    : >> 2) no arguments about how good dvd-a can be (that's defined by the
    : >> sampling/bit rate of the dvd-a spec.
    : >> 3) i can rip the audio tracks off of a dvd movie disc and create a
    : >> dvd-a disc.
    : >> 4) i can author my own 5.1 dvd-a using the highest possible
    : >> sample/bit rate allowed for dvd-a (i have to create PCM).
    : >>
    : >> 5) Richard C. simply does not get it, but that's why these groups
    : >> exist....
    : >
    : > =======================
    : > All of the things you are trying to do can be done using standard
    : > DVD-R techniques, correct?
    : >
    : > If so, why even mess with a phony DVD-Audio that does not meet the
    : > high resolution standards?
    :
    : That's a good question, but that aside, are you now conceding that he
    could
    : indeed create a DVD-A disc if he wanted to? Even if it's kind of
    pointless,
    : he could do it, yes? :)
    :
    : Mike
    :
    =======================
    I concede that he can put SOMETHING on a DVD in the DVD-Audio readable
    format.
    But it is NOT what buyers of DVD-Audio consider as DVD-Audio.
    The original posts indicated that he wanted to copy DVD-Audio discs in
    DVD-Audio format.
    ========================

    Richard C., Jun 4, 2004
  16. Kryptoknight

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Jesus Richard, if you were dancing any harder I'd stick a quarter in you.
    Anyway, that's good enough for me - you're wrong and you know it, even if
    you won't admit it in so many words. How mature.
    No they did not. You've been lost this entire thread, but you totally got
    on this guy's ass about something you yourself were CLUELESS about. You owe
    him a big apology, but I'd be willing to bet my life savings he won't get
    one.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 4, 2004
  17. Bwwwahhhhahaha! MORON ALERT! BZzzzt! MORON ALERT!

    And you can fart and burn it on a CD but it's still not a CD. It's
    something else but Richy-poo won't tell us what it is.

    Urra Dipschitt, Jun 4, 2004
  18. Kryptoknight

    Rich Clark Guest

    There's no such thing as a DVD player that won't play a DVD Video disc.
    Players that can handle DVD-Audio discs are relatively rare; very few people
    own them, and recorded DVD-A releases are a niche market.

    Thus my curiosity about why not make a DVD Video disc that you can play in
    any DVD player.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Jun 5, 2004
  19. Kryptoknight

    Richard C. Guest

    I guess YOU don't know what DVD-Audio sounds like either.

    Too bad.

    ====================
    : In article <40c0d052$0$35138$>,
    :

    Richard C., Jun 5, 2004
  20. Kryptoknight

    Richard C. Guest

    : Richard C. wrote:
    : > : >>
    : >> : >>> Richard C. wrote:
    : >>>> : >>>>>
    : >>>>> Did any of you guys actually read the link he posted? If so,
    and
    : >>>>> you still think this information is wrong, why?
    : >>>>>
    : >>>> ==================
    : >>>> Because the site he referred to clearly states that the software
    : >>>> required to do what they are talking about costs $495 and $2495.
    : >>>
    : >>> So? What does the price have to do with anything?
    : >>>
    : >>>> He is STILL not making a DVD-Audio disc.
    : >>>> He is merely making a DVD that has the DD audio on it.
    : >>>
    : >>> He's doing it in DVD-A format, which makes it a DVD-A.
    : >>
    : >> Which still begs the question: why? The only point of DVD-A is the
    : >> high resolution, and the high sampling rates (along with the unique
    : >> data structure) are the reason standard DVD players can't play
    them.
    : >>
    : >> If your source material is all sampled at rates within the range of
    : >> standard DVD audio formats, be they PCM or DD or DTS, then there's
    : >> no earthly reason to make a disc that will play only on a subset of
    : >> all DVD players, when you could make a standard DVD with identical
    : >> features and quality, using tools that cost nothing, that will play
    : >> on any DVD player.
    : >
    : > ==================
    : > Exactly!
    : > ==================
    : >>
    : >> If using lossy compression is what bothers you, stick with PCM.
    : >> There are many DVD-A discs that come from 48kHz source material
    that
    : >> still sound better than DD or DTS because DVD-A is less compressed.
    : >
    : > ===============
    : > The whole point of DVD-Audio!
    : > ===============
    : >>
    : >> While I think you guys are largely arguing over semantics, I still
    : >> don't get why the OP wants to use DVD-A in the first place.
    : >>
    : >> RichC
    : >>
    : > ================
    : > Nor do I.
    : > ================
    :
    : Richard, don't piggyback on Rich's arguments. He clearly understands
    the
    : issue, while you clearly do not. He's asking what the point of this
    project
    : is; you're claiming the OP isn't making DVD-A at all and that it's not
    : possible for him to do so.
    :
    : Are you conceding that your original point was wrong?
    :
    : Mike
    :
    No. What he is doing is putting CDs onto a DVD-Audio disc.
    If you think that is DVD-Audio, then you are not familiar with the
    format.

    I have DVD-Audio and I love the format.
    If someone gave me a DVD-Audio burned from CDs, I would be greatly upset
    at it being called DVD-Audio.

    Richard C., Jun 5, 2004