    for this using a cd rom. or how do i flash my bios with out creating a boot
    disk. MSI tech supp. is useless. there response is " ask MS for help creating
    a cd rom startup disk".

    Guest, Apr 22, 2006

  2. Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 22, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    bootdisk.com does not have a section for 64bit.. at least that i saw.
    ..
    anyone else??

    Guest, Apr 22, 2006
  4. And I am sure XP x86 disk won't work since it would be loading 32-Bit
    drivers for the CD-ROM to perform a installation of the operating system. XP
    Professional x64 requires 64-bit drivers for all hardware devices. Why do
    you want these anyway, its 6 disk for XP x86, if you are using a modern CPU
    that supports x86-x64, it must be able to at least boot from the optical
    drive.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 22, 2006
  5. You don't need a 64bit OS to just flash your bios.

    Chris Kushnir, Apr 23, 2006
  6. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Agreed. Just the basic DOS boot files

    John Barnes, Apr 23, 2006
  7. If I am not mistaken, you should be able to make a Bootable Floppy ISO
    containing all the files that comes with the FLASH utility - then burn that
    ISO to a CD ( none of the involved parts will care that the Floppy ISO is
    smaller than the CD medium!)

    In theory you could then put alternative utilities onto that CD, outside the
    Floppy part, and have your own rescue disk too.

    Hope this is not too convoluted!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 23, 2006
  8. You don't care if it's 64-bit, you just need to flash the BIOS. That doesn't
    require 64-bit

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 23, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    My case is I dont have floppy drive, so the 6 disk system I cannot applied, I
    tried to burn the trial version of 64bit, it comes out unbootable so I can t
    install it, any one can help ?

    Guest, Apr 23, 2006
  10. Guest

    Rick Guest

    If you had taken the time to read the instructions from MSI you would
    have noted they stipulate to make a DOS boot disk with RAMDrive/RAMDisk
    and to perform the BIOS upgrade from the RAMDrive.

    Rick, Apr 23, 2006
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 23, 2006
  12. Andre has pointed to the same instructions I would have. You need to burn
    the ISO as an image.

    Be aware that many x64 compatible computers on the market today _require_ a
    floppy drive to load drivers during setup. The cost of a floppy drive is
    roughly $15 USD or less. Save yourself some grief and get one. Or, splurge -
    get a $45 USD USB floppy drive and use it on multiple computers.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 23, 2006
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    i was aware that they stated i needed a 3.5 floppy. i "thought" that there
    was an alternative for that... my fault. if you were to D/L the bios (or any
    bios for that matter) and try to copy it to a cd rom, you will recieve an
    error stating that "some files wont transfer correctly. do you want to
    proceed"? i dont know why this is occuring. as for why MSI is requesting me
    to create a boot disk is also beyond me. i am just following their
    directions. (personaly, i should know better...lol) my main purpose is to
    flash my bios with the latest update to correct some mem timing issues w/o
    using a 3.5 floppy. the latest bios fixes this. i know i should just go get a
    3.5 for less than nothing, its just is sooo irritating to me that we have all
    this hi tech [email protected]#$t but it all hindges on an antique 3.5...lol
    MicroSoft..... fix this or make a work around

    Guest, Apr 23, 2006
  14. Guest

    John John Guest

    Hmmm. Why should Microsoft fix BIOS flahing issues? Last I heard of
    motherboard and BIOS chip manufacturers were the one who fixed these
    problems, they're the ones who make the products, not Microsoft.

    John

    John John, Apr 23, 2006
  15. Guest

    Rick Guest

    I made a .ISO image of a Win ME boot floppy. From that I made a boot CD
    with floppy emulation. If you use a CD-RW and use the standard CD
    format, not UDF, you can make a data CD with you BIOS file and update
    program. I then boot from the WinME CD, take out that CD, put the CD
    with the BIOS files, copy the files to the RAM drive and then execute my
    BIOS update program.

    I don't use a floppy disc for all this.

    Rick, Apr 23, 2006
  16. Guest

    Rick Guest

    P.S.

    The last time I checked MSI still had Live Update, which includes BIOS
    update. Have you thought of using their Live Update?

    Rick, Apr 23, 2006
  17. Guest

    Rick Guest

    Rick, Apr 23, 2006
  18. This isn't Microsoft's problem, it's the mobo mfg's problem. Now you _could_
    complain about the requirement for a floppy to load storage drivers, and
    some of us have. But that goes away in Vista, finally. Still here until
    then.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 23, 2006
  19. Guest

    Jimmy Guest

    Have you considered booting to a USB thumbdrive to do your bios flash? I
    use this method to flash my MSI K8N Neo2 bios. Using the HP Windows Format
    Utility for USB Drive Key and boot floppy files from www.bootdisk.com , you
    can easily make your thumbdrive bootable to DOS. Then just add the flash
    exe file and the .bin file for the bios and your in business. The basic
    format utility can be found on the HP FTP site and just download SP27213.exe
    and it's text file. The files can be found on this page:
    ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27001-27500/ Once installed, it gives
    the standard FAT choices, create DOS startup disk which requires the
    location of your DOS system files.

    You may have to change some of your CMOS settings to allow you to boot to a
    USB drive and to make it first in the boot order. I have tried this on a
    few computers and it works nicely, however, I did have a couple that I could
    not get to boot to USB at all.

    Jimmy, Apr 24, 2006
  20. Guest

    Guest Guest

    rick. MSI's live update does not function for 64bit. thid would have sooooo
    easy. here is MSI's reply for my bios issue;(cut and paist)
    Dear Customer,

    You would need to create a bootable CD or DVD with
    the bios flash utility and the bios files then boot to the drive and flash
    but it may not work please try using a floppy drive you do not have to mount
    a floppy just connect to update bios then can remove Thank You,

    Sincerely,

    Technical Support Division

    MSI Computer Corp.

    Guest, Apr 25, 2006