How to crash Win9x (including ME) with a 3-byte DOS program

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joel Rubin, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Joel Rubin

    Joel Rubin Guest

    This is derived from a talk given by Andrew Schulman (undoc.com) at a
    San Jose, CA convention when Win95 first came out. The trouble is that
    different programs share low areas in memory in Win95 (e.g. the 0400
    BIOS/DOS data area) and so it is easy for one program to crash another
    or crash everything.

    In WinNT (including 2000 and XP) this will crash the cmd box but you
    can close the box and go merrily on with the rest of your progies.

    The program just disables interrupts and goes into an infinite loop.

    C:\>debug
    -a
    0AF8:0100 cli
    0AF8:0101 jmp short 101
    0AF8:0103
    -rcx
    CX 0000
    :3
    -ncrash.com
    -w
    Writing 00003 bytes
    -q

    C:\>crash

    Joel Rubin, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Joel Rubin

    why? Guest

    <snip>

    I liked the warm boot example better, when 1234 ends up in a certain
    address a warm boot happens. It's more fun adding 1000 , 200 , 30 and 4
    at random intervals.

    Me

    why?, Jul 21, 2005