    crisps. Got a whole carton of those dropped off at my door one morning

    You do nice things to people and it will come back to you from unexpected
    directions.

    Attila Iskander, May 8, 2013

  2. Danny D

    nospam Guest

    i don't pimp for them nor do they pay me. i clear up misinformation,
    much of which comes from you.

    is microsoft paying you?

    nospam, May 8, 2013

  3. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    Thank you for that story.

    That's what the USENET is all about!

    We all help each other - for free.

    We have no expectation of payback, other than pay forward for
    those of us who know what that means.

    And, once in a while, good things come through the net
    friendships that are made.

    Danny D, May 8, 2013
  4. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    Actually, I'm undeclared - and have been since I was 18
    even though I believe in the old adage that, when you're
    young, you have to be a Democrat; otherwise you have no
    heart. When you're middle aged, you must be Republican,
    otherwise you have no sense; and, when you age, you go
    back to being a Democrat so that other people will pay
    for your care. :)

    Danny D, May 8, 2013

  5. If the third condition is true, then you have learned nothing in your life
    at all
    You don't have to go back to being a liberal to take advantage of benefits
    you paid for all your life with taxes.

    Attila Iskander, May 8, 2013
  6. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    It was a joke ...

    Danny D, May 8, 2013
  7. Danny D

    PeterN Guest

    Absolutely true. I live in a senior citizens community. After a snow
    storm, I will clean off my neighbor's windshields. For me, their smiles
    and greetings are enough reward.

    PeterN, May 8, 2013
  8. Danny D

    PeterN Guest

    You don't seem to be doing a very good job.

    PeterN, May 8, 2013
  9. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    Isn't that essentially what the USENET is all about?

    I love the fact 'we' help each other!

    Danny D, May 8, 2013
  10. Danny D

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Clearing up "misinformation" the way you do is rolling out the
    propaganda.

    Tony Cooper, May 8, 2013
  11. Danny D

    Dan Espen Guest

    You must be a commie!

    Just kidding. No really.

    We help each other and everyone benefits.
    Why some people are uncomfortable with that is a mystery.

    Dan Espen, May 9, 2013

  12. Funny
    Some people go the other way
    Go figure...
    :)

    Attila Iskander, May 9, 2013
  13. Usually, it's the takers who are uncomfortable with that
    The basis of their philosophy are:
    1) Everyone is out for themselves
    2) Therefore, I must be out for myself to get ahead of everyone else
    (doing the same).
    So when they come across people who don't operate to their rule, they get
    confused and presume that the other people are idiots..

    The lesson was brought home to me reading "The Last Centurion" by John
    Ringo, where the main character discusses high trust and low trust
    societies.
    The US like most societies that originated from Western Judeo-Christian
    societies of the Northern Hemisphere, is a "high trust society" where the
    great majority of people understand the notion that if you come together to
    help others, it actually is a social benefit that will come back to your
    personal benefit sooner than later.
    Those countries, that have endemic problems of graft, corruption and other
    issues are "low trust societies" where the "me first - before all others",
    "trust only family and clan, and even they are going to screw you over", is
    the rule.
    To them the notion of repeatedly investing in good deeds towards others is
    wasted effort that only fools practice. They do not understand that most
    important lesson from the New Testament - the parable of the Good Samaritan.

    Attila Iskander, May 9, 2013
  14. Why do you think the poster uses "nospam <>" as a nym
    and addy...

    Attila Iskander, May 9, 2013
  15. Danny D

    J. Clarke Guest

    That's the thing, you didn't pay for your own benefits, you paid for
    somebody else's benefits, and now somebody else has to pay for yours.

    You must be one of those who thinks that Social Security has been saving
    your payments for you and investing them wisely. It hasn't. It has
    loaned it all to the Federal government at very low interest and the
    government has spent it all.

    J. Clarke, May 9, 2013
  16. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    Interesting. The USENET is a high-trust society, for the most part;
    and certain groups, such as the three on this post, are all high-trust
    USENET newsgroups.

    When we get help, we pay it forward ...

    Danny D, May 9, 2013
  17. Danny D

    Guest

    That's the contract.

    , May 9, 2013
  18. Danny D

    Guest

    Not at all. There is no "risk" or "cost", so therefore no "trust". Do
    you buy from spammers?

    , May 9, 2013
  19. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    Well, you have a point that alt.comp.freeware is filled with
    spammers; but alt.home.repair is a wonderfully experienced
    collection of homeowners who help each other - and -
    rec.photo.digital is renown for the professionals who frequent
    it's hallowed threads.

    Danny D, May 9, 2013
  20. Danny D

    Guest

    The point being that there isn't trust because there is nothing at
    risk; nothing *to* trust.

    , May 10, 2013