    This system will not have a monitor or keyboard.
    Can I do this by just running a cable from one network card to the other.
    What settings do I need to change?

    Lorne_Taylor, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Lorne_Taylor

    Harrison Guest

    You would have to use a crossover network cable to accomplish this.
    I'd suggest an even better way.
    Remove the hard drive from the old computer and plug it in to the new
    one, then copy your files over.
    The network method will work with a crossover cable, but switching the
    drive will be much faster.

    Post back if you don't know how to do this.

    Harrison, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Lorne_Taylor

    Lorne_Taylor Guest

    I have two HD in each system. No room to move them.
    Besides which getting at the new system is a bitch in it's cubby hole in my
    desk.
    I need my software and data files from the old system but they are huge. 20
    gigs.
    I don't have any crossover cables.
    I have little networking routers but I can't find them.
    I may be screwed until tomorrow.

    Lorne_Taylor, Nov 12, 2003
  4. Lorne_Taylor

    Harrison Guest

    Even though you have two hard drives in your newer system, you should
    not need both at the same time. Leave the system drive connected and
    disconnect the other one so that you can connect one of the old
    drives. There's no need to even take the new drive out, just connect
    the old one and let rest, without grounding out the circuits,
    somewhere in the case.

    20 gigs across the network cable is going to take one Hell of a long
    time.

    Harrison, Nov 12, 2003
  5. Lorne_Taylor

    Jeffrey Guest

    You should take a look at this very good article on Windows Networking 101
    for beginners. It shows you how to connect XP, 98 and the basics of
    networking:

    http://go.jitbot.com/network101

    -- Jeff

    Jeffrey, Nov 12, 2003
  6. Lorne_Taylor

    Eric Kasper Guest

    i would definaly use the crossover overnight, why waist the time taking them
    apart when all you have to do is snap in the cable

    Eric Kasper, Nov 13, 2003