    describe me what are the steps involved?. Also for securing machines do
    we have to install any separate hardware for security?, which hardware
    is better. Thanks.

    GS, Sep 23, 2005

  2. GS

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    You're looking for a VPN - Virtual Private Network.

    VPN transfers the packets of the internal network
    as payload in an external network connection. The
    method is called tunneling. To preserve privacy
    of the internal network, the packets are encrypted
    before being loaded into the external network
    packets.

    There are a couple of HOWTOs about VPN in the
    Linux Documentation Project. The explain the
    basica prety well, but all are quite outdated.

    My favourite for Linux-to-Linux VPN in OpenVPN
    <http://openvpn.net/>. It works with recent
    Windowses and many Unix-like systems, too.

    Tauno Voipio, Sep 23, 2005

  3. GS

    GS Guest

    We have different servers at both locations, we are using different
    subnets, for example one location had DSL and connected all PC's to LAN
    using 172.16.35 subnet and other location had cable modem and Router,
    again all PC's to LAN using 172.16.16 subnet, now we have to access
    machines at both locations, how can we do that. thanks.

    GS, Sep 23, 2005
  4. Did you see the reply from Tauno Voipio?

    DS

    David Schwartz, Sep 23, 2005
  5. GS

    James Knott Guest

    You can use a Virtual Private Network, to connect the two sites. I use
    OpenVPN. You can also build a firewall/router/NAT with Linux, to protect
    your network from the outside world. You can use the same Linux box for
    both.

    James Knott, Sep 23, 2005
  6. GS

    ynotssor Guest

    He referenced Mssr. Voipio's post in the headers, which means that he did
    indeed see it, so it seems like the OP wants to have the HOWTO read to him.

    ynotssor, Sep 23, 2005
  7. GS

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    In OpenVPN, there are two ways to connect the networks:

    - routed, or
    - bridged.

    The bridged connection forwards the datalink level frames,
    i.e. Ethernet frames. This makes the computers seem in
    a common local net, which may be an advantage, if protocols
    like Novell or Microsoft (without TCP/IP) have to be handled.
    The obvious disadvantage is hefty overhead of unnecessary
    packets bridged to the other end.

    The routed connection routes IP packets over the VPN. It
    works like any IP routing, connecting different subnets.

    It seems to me that you're looking for a routed VPN.

    <nag>
    Please get the HOWTOs and read them
    </nag>

    HTH

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

    PS: Thanks to GS and David Schawartz.

    TV

    Tauno Voipio, Sep 23, 2005
  8. GS

    GS Guest

    Thanks.

    GS, Sep 25, 2005
  9. GS

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Isn't there a way to use the network since the two locations are on the same network?

    , Jul 22, 2008