How to connect existing configuration with WebDAV?

Discussion in 'Linux Networking' started by ein, Jun 11, 2013.

  1. ein

    ein Guest

    Hello,

    I have machine which servers files to users (LDAP) via CIFS and SFTP
    (Samba,SSH). I'm using Ext4 ACLs to restrict access to some directory
    hierarchy. Everything works just fine. I'm wondering if it's possible
    to configure some web server for example Apache to serve this
    hierarchy via WebDAV. ACL restrictions is most important in this setup
    and I'd like to not duplicate it, because there're very complicated
    and complex. I want to give users a possibility to exchange files via
    HTTP(S) without need for setting VPN (I'm using OpenVPN right now for
    that). Main problem i encounter is that after successful user
    authentication against OpenLDAP user doesn't have access to files.
    Reason is prosaic - UID and GID used by Apache. :)

    I tired:
    Davenport WebDAV-CIFS (SMB) Gateway - seems to be outdated and not
    supported now (development stopped in 2007), because I have problem
    with access using newer web browsers.

    I'm thinking about:
    http://webdavcgi.sourceforge.net/ - this looks promising, but
    documentation and instructions are so chaotic that I'm not sure that
    it's a right way to do what I want...

    Please advise.

    ein, Jun 11, 2013

  2. Apache's mod_dav? I use it for a locally hosted calender server for LAN.

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 12, 2013

  3. ein

    ein Guest

    Of course it was the first choice. As I wrote before I can't do that,
    because of permissions. When user connects to WebDAV share Apache uses
    own UID and GID for file access. Extended ACLs became useless in that
    case. I can change owner of my files, but if i do that everyone will
    have access to everything or nobody to nothing. My permissions changes
    in deeper level of described directory hierarchy and they are
    different for each user or group I've created. How samba operates in
    that case? After positive user auth. Samba create another 'smbd'
    process with connected user UID and GID numbers, and OS (system
    functions in example fopen) can take advantage from extended access
    control lists.

    Thanks.

    ein, Jun 13, 2013