How to Connect Dlink Router to a Dlink Router?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi.

    I know it can be done. What are the steps to connect a DLink DI-704 to
    a Dlink DI604 which is connected to a cable modem?

    That would be modem -> DI604 -> DI704P

    So far I know I would connect the number 1 ports between the routers.

    I thought I had to use a cross-over but someone said to turn on
    'autosense' and I could use a straight through cable.

    I know I have to change the admin IP on at least one of the routers.

    I know I have set the ip ranges on one or both of them.

    Any info or reference to a good explantion would be great.
    Please email too if possible.
    Thanks in advance.

    Fred.

    Please remove the NOSPAM

    Guest, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Guest

    Micron Guest

    Try these as an example, and use a streight through cable. Crossover is only
    for 2 PC's without a router/patch bay.

    To get rid of the firewalled status for other clients from the Internet.
    You have to forward the ports needed from your router to your PC.

    use ipconfig on the dos prompt (start -> run -> cmd) to get your lokal IP
    adress (perhaps something like 192.168.0.50)
    look at the ports configured in (Server) -> Options -> Network (Tcp port :
    xxxx, UPD port: yyyy) (assumed TCP 4662, UDP 4665, you can use what ever you
    like but stay above 1024 and below 65535).

    Go to your router configuration and enter these infos.
    Replace 192.168.0.50 with your local IP address and ports 4662, 4665 with
    these from Server:

    D-Link DI604
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di604/Manual/di604_manual_052902F.zip

    Open your webbrowser at http://192.168.0.1(default) to get in the
    configuration menu.
    Default username is "admin" and no password (leave blank).
    Go to the advanced tab and insert two virtual servers(page 22):

    Enabled: X
    Name: overnet_tcp
    Private IP: 192.168.0.50
    Protocol Type: TCP
    Private Port: 4662
    Public Port: 4662
    Schedule: always
    Apply: X

    Enabled: X
    Name: overnet_udp
    Private IP: 192.168.0.50
    Protocol Type: UDP
    Private Port: 4665
    Public Port: 4665
    Schedule: always
    Apply: X

    Normally these infos are automatically added and opend in the Firewall of
    the router (page 31). If something is not working as it should take a look
    at the firewall rules.
    Two rules should have been added (page 31) and look perhaps like this:

    Enabled: X
    Name: overnet_tcp
    Action: Allow
    Source: *
    Destination: LAN 192.168.0.50 192.168.0.50 TCP 4662 4662
    Schedule: always
    Apply: X

    Enabled: X
    Name: overnet_udp
    Action: Allow
    Source: *
    Destination: LAN 192.168.0.50 192.168.0.50 UDP 4665 4665
    Schedule: always
    Apply: X

    Dl-704P

    Manaul: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di704/Manual/di704_manual_082201.pdf

    RTFM on page 8: Activate your browser, open settings, and disable the proxy
    or add the IP address of the DI-704 into the exceptions box. Then, type the
    DI-704?s IP address [for example (default setting): http://192.168.0.1] in
    the Location (for Netscape) or Address (for IE) field and press ENTER.
    After the connection is established, you will see the web user interface of
    the DI-704. To log in as an administrator, enter the system password (the
    factory setting is admin) in the System Password field and click on the Log
    in button. If the password is correct, the web appearance will be changed
    into administrator configure mode.

    RTFM on page 14 "Virtual Servers", add two of them for both ports from
    Overnet pointing to yout internal IP address of your PC. Don't forget to
    check the "enable" button.
    If you have enabled the DHCP server (page 13) perhaps you've got to assign
    your PC a fix IP address (out of the range from the DHCP server) to ensure
    that it has a always the same IP wich is neede for the routing.

    Micron, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Michael,

    THANKS. I have printed your reply and am studying it..

    Fred

    Please remove the NOSPAM

    Guest, Sep 6, 2003