How to configure router for SDM

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mike W., May 23, 2007.

  1. Mike W.

    Mike W. Guest

    Hi all,

    Can't figure out what I'm missing here. I installed SDM on my PC, and
    am trying to access an existing router with it (I say existing because
    all the documentation I find shows how to set it up with a NEW router).

    Anyway, I get it to accept my connection but I am getting tripped up by
    the usernames and password it requires. 1st, I login to the initial
    window by using the username "cisco" and the enable password.

    Ok, that gets me to the next window. It starts asking me for SSH and/or
    Telnet passwords...clearly I can telnet to the device, but I'm not sure
    what username it's looking for.

    I tried setting up a new user named sdmsdm and putting the AAA local
    commands in there, but that didn't do it either. Can someone tell me
    what I'm doing wrong here?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike W., May 23, 2007

  2. Mike W.

    JacobJV

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi

    Try using the enable secret password. It works.

    Regards
    JV

    JacobJV, May 24, 2007

  3. Mike W.

    HACabrera Guest

    Hey Mike, try this:

    1.- Create a new username and password for yourself with "full
    controll" settings
    (config)# username mike password PaSSwOrd level 15

    2.- Start a new AAA Configuration
    (config)# aaa new-model

    3.- Set AAA to authenticate all logins
    (config)# aaa authentication login "databasename" local <-- Database
    name is just a way for you to refer to the local users database, it
    can be something like UDB <--meaning Users DataBase

    4.- Set your VTY Lines to use AAA
    (Config)# line vty 0 15
    (config-line)# login authentication UDB <-- Making reference to the
    local users database
    (config-line)#exit

    5.- Set your Router's HTTP Server to authenticate using the local
    database.
    (config)# ip http server
    (config)# ip http authentication local

    You then now be ready to go, anyway, I will still recommend you to
    create at least one standard ACL that will allow only connectionf from
    your computer and attach it to your VTY lines and HTTP Service so it
    will be a bit more secure.

    Another thing I will recommend is to set a proper name to the router,
    set a domain name on it, and then enable HTTP over SSL on your router,
    so all the communication between your computer running SDM and your
    router will be encrypted.

    If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate in posting
    it here...

    See ya!!!

    HACabrera

    HACabrera, May 24, 2007