    glued on it's case. I wonder if Microsoft could help. If I call them
    and give them the product key could they tell me how to start it up?

    Thanks for your help.

    voodoo, Oct 25, 2003

  2. voodoo

    Vulpine Guest

    one thing you could do is format the thing
    another thing you could do is download this iso i have to reset the admin
    password of a computer if you want to keep all the information

    Vulpine, Oct 25, 2003

  3. voodoo

    HamMan Guest

    Format the PC, and if you want to keep it nice and legal reinstall 2000 with
    the serial on the side of the case

    HamMan, Oct 25, 2003
  4. voodoo

    Roy Jones Guest

    Is there anything on the HD you want to keep?
    If not, why not just whack the existing installation and reload the OS?

    Have you tried logging in to the local admin account with the common
    default passwords or no password at all?

    If you need to get into the existing system, you can use a third-party
    tool, like ERD Commander to help you access the OS files and change the
    system password: http://www.winternals.com/emergencydownload/.

    Roy

    Roy Jones, Oct 25, 2003
  5. voodoo

    Harrison Guest

    Harrison, Oct 25, 2003
  6. voodoo

    Harrison Guest

    Harrison, Oct 25, 2003
  7. voodoo

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Roy Jones said:
    How would he have been able to put anything onto the system if he has been
    unable to access it since buying it "second hand"?

    Ralph Mann, Oct 25, 2003
  8. voodoo

    voodoo Guest

    Thanks for your help and please excuse my ignorance. But don't I need
    to get to the command prompt if I am going to re format it?

    I don't know how to get to a command prompt. When it boots up I get a
    log on screen, and without the user name and password I can't do
    anything. Is there some way I can get to a command prompt that I am
    unaware of?

    I can press F2 and get into the bios setup, but that doesn't seem to
    help. I can also press F11 and it gives me a choice of booting from
    either a CD, the hard drive, or a floppy disk, but when I insert a
    Win2k boot disk it boots up OK but it's back to that log on screen
    again. I must be missing something.

    Somebody told me that if I remove it's battery and then wait a while,
    it will loose it's settings and then I should be able to log on. Is
    that possible?

    Thanks again.

    voodoo, Oct 25, 2003
  9. voodoo

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    With a bootdisk.
    See above.
    No, that's for a BIOS password, not an OS log in password.

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 25, 2003
  10. voodoo

    HamMan Guest

    Yes you do, but it isnt nesecary to log into windows to get to the command
    prompt.
    Yes, visit www.bootdisk.com (i think) and download a set of windows 2000
    boot floppy disks.
    Stick the first one before you turn the computer on, then it will take you
    ito the 2000 setup wizard.
    You will need a windows 2000 CD-ROM to complete the setup, when it gets to
    the partition section delete all the existing partitions ans choose to make
    a new one to the full capacity of the drive.

    No, as Hawk said, that would be for a CMOS / BIOS password.

    HamMan, Oct 25, 2003
  11. voodoo

    Ralph Mann Guest

    HamMan said:
    That's not quite true, if you can boot to DOS then you don't have to load
    windows to get a DOS (command) prompt.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 25, 2003
  12. voodoo

    Roy Jones Guest

    What I meant was is there software or anything else he's aware of on the PC
    that he'd want to keep.

    Roy

    Roy Jones, Oct 25, 2003
  13. voodoo

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Roy Jones said:
    You should never "keep" anything when you get hold of a second-hand pc, you are
    most likely going to need to uninstall most everything anyway, and besides,
    there could very well be loads of viruses and/or trojans on it too.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 25, 2003
  14. voodoo

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Why not?

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 25, 2003
  15. voodoo

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Because of what I said in the part you edited out.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 25, 2003
  16. voodoo

    Roy Jones Guest

    I agree...I always repartition and reformat the HD on second-hand drives,
    but I was asking what the poster wanted to accomplish, not telling him what
    I thought he should do.

    Roy

    Roy Jones, Oct 25, 2003
  17. voodoo

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    It was irrelevant, that's why I snipped it.

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 26, 2003
  18. Why doesnt anyone hittng F8 after the bios gets done doing what it does and
    just before windows starts to load, start the computer in safe mode, access
    the control panel and reset the passwords.. ??

    Just an Idea..

    Roy Blenkhorn, Oct 26, 2003
  19. voodoo

    voodoo Guest