    slimpak cases that was impossible to get off cleanly.

    Anyone know the best ways to clean the residue off without damaging the cases?

    Fire3Sky

    Fire3Sky, Sep 16, 2004

  2. Fire3Sky

    Joe Negron Guest

    I find that if I put wrapping tape (or something fairly sticky) around
    my fingers then repeatedly presss-and-lift it over the residue, the
    residue will eventually be completely removed.

    Joe Negron, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Fire3Sky

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Take the paper sleeve out of the case then wash it down with some Goo
    Gone and a cotton swab:

    http://www.kitchencollection.com/tempproducts.cfm?aff=Froogle&sku=00819332

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Fire3Sky

    nrawson Guest

    First you can try any cooking oil. Wet a paper towel with oil and rub the
    residue. As it balls up it gets coated with oil and quits sticking.

    If cooking oil doesn't do it try Goo Gone. Yea, that really is the name.
    Most discount stores carry it.

    nrawson, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Fire3Sky

    Cernovog Guest

    I scrubbed the heck out of an old AOL DVD case to remove the mailing label
    glue residue. I later tried rubbing alcohol. This worked surprisingly well,
    but not perfectly.

    Finally, I just bought new DVD cases. Blockbuster was selling them eight for
    a dollar. After that, all my effort seemed silly. ^_^ For slim cases, my
    buddy gave me slim cases from video game demos.

    So that was my solution. Just by new cases. ^_^;;;

    Cernovog, Sep 17, 2004
  6. Fire3Sky

    DVDfanatico Guest

    The best way believe it or not is Joe's way. Use the sticky side of the label
    to lift all the residue off. You can rub off any leftover residue with kleenex
    using very short strokes.

    HTH
    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Sep 17, 2004
  7. For getting stickers off cases, from labels with that clear, sticky goop
    to hard-to-peel Blockbuster stickers from the previously viewed pile, I
    find Rossinol lighter fluid works as well as anything. Just squirt a bit
    on the label, let it penetrate for a minute or so, and then peel away.

    If there's residue, squirt a dab of lighter fluid on a kleenex or paper
    towl and rub it off. The stuff evaporates quickly (it's also the key
    ingredient in old-fashioned "spot remover") so it never leaves a stain.

    swac
    Needless to say, do not to this around an open flame.

    Stephen Cooke, Sep 17, 2004
  8. I use lighter fluid too, it's the best for removing any sort of sticky
    residue, and it even removes Magic Marker from plastic. An aunt of
    mine worked in a china shop and they used this all the time to get the
    stickers off of plates etc. In fact, the labeling on the bottle of
    lighter fluid even states it's good for removing labels.

    PL

    Paul Lefebvre
    [email protected]*removethis*sympatico.ca
    Visit my website!
    http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

    Paul Lefebvre, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Fire3Sky

    Jim Nason Guest

    Actually, WD-40 is designed to remove such residues, and is a lot safer than
    lighter fluid. Don't spray it directly; spay some on a Kleenex tissue and
    dab away at it gently.

    An alternate: use a small amount of undiluted Ivory Liquid dishwashing soap
    on a fingertip. Work it into the residue with a circular motion until it is
    dissolved, then wipe off with a moistened tissue. Obviously we are talking
    about plastic cases, not cardboard.

    Incidentally, Ivory Liquid, undiluted will easily remove grease or even
    fingerprint ink from skin by rubbing it in thoroughly so that it emulsifies
    the grease or ink. Then add water and wash it away. Very gentle on skin.

    Hope this helps,

    Jim Nason

    Jim Nason, Sep 18, 2004
  10. Fire3Sky

    Mac Cool Guest

    Fire3Sky:
    I use Naphtha. Just dab it on and it will instantly dissolve any residue,
    wipe off.

    Mac Cool, Sep 18, 2004
  11. Fire3Sky

    arthur wouk Guest

    :My Star Trek DS9 and Voyager DVD boxed sets came with an insert on the outside
    :eek:f the package that was attached to the case with stickum. When I peeled off
    :the insert, it left a residue. My Charlie's Angels set had a sticker across the
    :slimpak cases that was impossible to get off cleanly.
    :
    :Anyone know the best ways to clean the residue off without damaging the cases?
    :
    :Fire3Sky

    the solvents used in some sticker adhesive is only responsive to
    lighter fluid as a solvent. also true for other hard to remove
    adhesives. i keep a container of such around the house for clenaing
    these adhesives.

    arthur wouk, Sep 18, 2004
  12. Fire3Sky

    Cernovog Guest

    I never thought to ask for help on this newsgroup when I was trying to remove
    those pesky AOL mailing labels. I guess I should have!

    When I saw those cases at Blockbuster so cheap -- 8 for a dollar -- I felt
    silly for putting so much effort in trying scrub off that glue. Next time,
    armed with a little know-how, I'll save myself the 12 1/2 cents! ^_^

    Cernovog, Sep 19, 2004
  13. Fire3Sky

    thedick009

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Use an alcohol swab. Little bit of scrubbing all the glue will come right off.

    thedick009, Jul 28, 2015