How to chose a digital camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pierre Jelenc, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. I've been trying to find a way to select cameras for comparison of the
    features that are important to me, but with no success at all. Is there a
    way to search for the following features:

    - excellent focusing in low light with *no* white-light focusing aid
    (infrared or unobtrusive red OK)
    - zoom to 35mm equivalent of 35-200 or so
    - auto flash that can be turned off and on easily (not through menus, etc)
    - very short shutter delay (subjects move fast)
    - good image quality in low light (stage spotlights)
    - good reliability and sturdiness (dozens to hundreds of shots a night)

    Not essential but would be nice:
    - uses AA-size batteries
    - CF, SmartDrive, SM, SD/MMC, or Memory Stick memory (I already have a
    reader)
    - orientable LCD display
    - macro capability
    - no digital zoom
    - no movie
    - no sound
    - light weight

    I don't especially care about the pixel size, the brand, or the shape.

    Any suggestions welcome.

    Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Pierre Jelenc

    BobS Guest

    BobS, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Pierre Jelenc

    Musty Guest

    Sounds like you need a digital SLR - and one with a large enough (and good
    enough) sensor such that noise is not an issue at high ISO (so you can shoot
    in low light).

    Now, I am a little biased here (since I own one), but I would recommend a
    20D - It has everything you require from your "essential" requirements
    (except the AF assist uses flash strobing which you dont like). The focal
    lengths are not an issue since you can get any lenses you want. If you want
    a fast, durable, low noise and flexible camera and you dont care about size,
    I really see no other option than DSLR. I would recommend Canon 20D or Nikon
    D70. I would pick D70 over Canon 300D/Rebel simply because build quality is
    not there in the Rebel (plastic & made in Taiwan), but if budget is tight,
    the 300D makes a terrific camera compared to a P&S model. Go to
    www.dpreview.com and start reading. My suggestion is take your time.

    Musty, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Pierre Jelenc

    Ron Hunter Guest

    You didn't mention size or weight preferences, so if that isn't
    important, you might check into such DSLRs as Nikon and Canon. BTW,
    listing negatives (no movie, no sound) as preferences is just plain
    useless. Even if they are present, you aren't forced to use them....

    Ron Hunter, Jan 4, 2005
  5. Thanks to all who answered; the dpreview.com buying guide looks like what
    I was hoping for.

    True, but they do add complexity (i.e. things that can break and take the
    whole system down, and more intricate menus that make finding the needed
    settings more difficult.)

    Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc, Jan 5, 2005