how to choose dig cam good for night photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mario, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Mario

    Mario Guest

    Hello,

    So far I have tried many dig cams of my own and of my friends and none
    of them seam to make descent photos at night unless the subject is
    very close to the flash, for panorama fotos at night its almost all
    black.

    Can you please tell me what I have to look in the camera specs to get
    a very good camera for also night fotos?

    what is the parameter that measures in dig camera specs the light
    sensibility of the camera?

    I would like a compact slim model if possible that uses smartmedia
    memory cards but please feel free to recommend me any compact model
    with optical zoom and rechargeable batteries.

    Thanks,

    Mario

    Mario, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Mario

    dylan Guest

    If you are talking about a problem with flash power then I would recommend
    one with an external flash connection, Canon G5 etc. Seperate flash guns
    will give much higher powers than the internal ones.

    If you are looking for light sensitivity then look at the ISO rating, the
    higher the better for night working, look for 1600 or 3200 BUT watch out for
    the noise figure or S/N, not often quoted. You may also want a B (for bulb)
    setting to allow for long exposures.

    dylan, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Mario

    gr Guest

    I think the Olympus C-5050 is probably the best digicam for nighttime use.
    It has several very useful features:

    1. A fast lens. The C5050 has a F1.8 lens, which is the fastest digicam lens
    available. A fast lens is critical for shooting in low-light situations.

    2. Manual mode. This is critical for taking pictures the way you want. In
    the dark, focus and exposure often don't work too well. Although the C5050
    has an autofocus assist, it's really only good for 20' or 30' distance.
    You'll need full manual controls over focus, exposure, aperture, and
    shutter.

    3. The ability to take long exposures... at least several seconds. The C5050
    allows up to 16 seconds, which is plenty for most situations. I've taken
    some nice night shots with only the full moon to illuminate the scene.

    4. The ability to take external flash. You can use external flashes via the
    hotshoe, which gives you more powerful flash units. You can also use the
    slave setting. For most situations, I wouldn't recommend using just the
    flash; you'll want to combine it with a long exposure to show the background
    as well.

    5. Noise reduction. This can be a useful feature for long exposures.

    6. Pixel mapping. This feature gets rid of stuck and hot pixels which
    eventually show up in all CCDs. These show up most in night shots.

    The downside to all digicams is that they are noisier than the large-sensor
    dSLRs. However, they're no more noisy for night shots than they are for day
    shots, so this isn't really an issue specific to your purpose. I prefer to
    shoot at a low ISO setting and a long exposure time (and wide F-stop).
    However, high ISO settings can be very useful for things like
    astrophotography.

    gr, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Mario

    JK Guest

    If your subject is stationary, use a tripod and take a long exposure.
    A fast lens(one that lets plenty of light through. Look for an fnumber
    of 2.8 or lower. Many cameras might have a lens that is f2.8 at the
    wide angle end, but around f4.8 at the telephoto end. You want a camera
    with a lens that is f2.8 or faster(lower f number) throughout the entire
    zoom range). A high ISO setting will also help in low light, but
    higher ISO settings produce more noise.
    That is exactly what you don't want if you want a camera that performs
    well in low light. You want a camera with a large lens that lets plenty of
    light through. If you can afford it, a Canon Digital Rebel and a 50mm
    f1.8 lens would be a great combination for taking photos in low light.
    You will be able to take handheld photos in very low light withoutout
    using a flash with this setup.
    A Canon G5 or Olympus C5050 is about the best you will do if you
    don't want a large camera.

    JK, Jan 2, 2004