    to communicate .. thru internet..

    Is there a software to check this...please help..

    thanks..

    ashjas, Jul 9, 2006

  2. ashjas

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Active Ports or TCPView and they are both free use Google.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 9, 2006

  3. ashjas

    ashjas Guest

    precisely..what i want to know..is that if i allow an application to
    freely access the internet thru my firewall(bitdefender),then is there
    some software that can list the ports that are open through that
    particular application..

    Thanks..

    ashjas, Jul 9, 2006
  4. ashjas

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Once again, Active Ports or TCPview more so Active Ports will tell you
    what program is opening to send data and listening to receive data on
    ports with or without a personal FW in front of it. If the program opens
    a particular port, then the FW has that port open too.

    If the program running on the computer is opening ports to send or
    receive packets, Active Ports will show you not only the ports that are
    being used but also what program is doing it.

    Keep in mind, that the program that's opening the ports may only be a
    host for another program like a Dll the program is hosting and it's the
    the Dll wanting the ports open.

    The tools in the link will be shown to you.

    Long

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/artic...d_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Short

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 9, 2006
  5. ashjas

    why? Guest

    Assuming a Windows OS,

    App/port list
    CurrPorts - Nir Sofer v1.09 Apr 17 2006 freeware

    I use,
    Outpost Firewall, links application to ports.
    I would also assume Zone Alarm and others would do a similar list.

    Additional,
    OpenedFilesView - Nir Sofer v1.01 Jul 03 2006 - freeware

    Although not linking app to port, these are a must as well, the already
    mentioned TCPView , Process Explorer and TDIMon from
    www.sysinternals.com

    Me

    why?, Jul 9, 2006
  6. ashjas