    to change the order so that my most-heavily-spammed just-mailwashed account
    gets read first before any more spam arrives.

    Bill

    Bill R, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Bill R

    L Beck Guest

    One option would be to separate the email accounts into separate identities
    and download them individually.

    L Beck, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Bill R

    RDS Guest

    You can change an account to the default and it is checked first.

    Running Outlook Express 6 on Win/Me. What determines the order in which OE6
    downloads mail accounts? It doesn't seem to be alphabetical, and it doesn't
    seem to be related to the order in which I defined the accounts. I'd like

    RDS, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Bill R

    trout Guest

    It *is* alphabetical, by the *name of the account* (not address).
    Adding single letter to the name of each Mail Account is an easy way to
    determine the order in which the accounts are checked.

    trout, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Bill R

    Trent C Guest

    Running Outlook Express 6 on Win/Me. What determines the order in
    Nearly, but not quite. If I look at the first letters of my accounts in the
    order that they're being checked by OE6, it appears that they go in
    alphabetical order to the exclusion of the default account, which always
    goes first.

    Trent C, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Bill R

    trout Guest

    I believe that you will find you are mistaken. Try putting "Z." in
    front of the name of the default account.

    trout, Mar 5, 2004
  7. Bill R

    Trent C Guest

    Running Outlook Express 6 on Win/Me. What determines the order in
    I can only go by what I see on my own machine (XP Pro, OE6).

    I have a number of accounts, the default on has the initial letter P, which
    is followed by the following sequence: H I M N P S U. That's why I said
    that it appears to follow alphabetical order with the default account (in my
    case P) always coming first. Adding Z to the front of the default account
    name makes no difference on my machine - it still gets checked before the
    other accounts.

    What's weird is that we're both running OE6 and our systems appear to be
    behaving so differently. Are you on XP?

    Trent C, Mar 5, 2004
  8. Bill R

    trout Guest

    98SE; although I can't see how that would make a difference. I've
    been told by quite a few people that their results have been the same,
    and in the half-dozen or so times the subject has come up; I've not seen
    a report of the behaviour you see (?)
    <shrug>

    trout, Mar 5, 2004
  9. Bill R

    Bill R Guest

    By "name of account", do you mean the first field on the General tab (under
    "Mail Account") of the Account definition, rather than the "User
    Information" Name field or the Incoming Mail Server Account Name? If so,
    that doesn't seem to work for me. The order in which my accounts get read
    are (by name) ... (x's inserted to protect the innocent) ...

    Xxx - bill.x.xxxxxx
    Xxx - bill.xxxxxxxx
    Xxx - bill.x
    Xxx - bill.x.xxxxxx
    Xxx - joan.x
    Yahoo - Bxxx_xxxx
    Yahoo - Kxxxxxx_xx
    Xxx - joan.xxxxxxxx
    Xxx - xxxxxxxx (the default account)
    PlusNet
    PlusNet - xxx.xxx
    PlusNet - Joan
    Xxx - bill.xxxxx
    PlusNet - xxx.xxx
    PlusNet - Bill

    It doesn't even seem to relate to the order in which I've created or
    modified the accounts. I guess it must be another Microsoft Miracle ... :(

    Bill

    Bill R, Mar 5, 2004
  10. Bill R

    Trent C Guest

    Running Outlook Express 6 on Win/Me. What determines the order in
    I'm certainly going with the same definition that you are - the Mail Account
    Name, which as you say is the first field in the 'General' tab under Account
    Properties. This is a bloody mystery., because it doesn't seem to go with
    most recent first/last either.

    Trent C, Mar 5, 2004
  11. Bill R

    trout Guest

    Just out of curiosity; what are your other settings? I'm on cable
    (although it was the same on DSL), am using 3 accounts on different
    servers, one marked default, no 'secure password authentication', using
    'any connection available'.

    trout, Mar 5, 2004
  12. Bill R

    Trent C Guest

    Running Outlook Express 6 on Win/Me. What determines the order
    All the settings for the accounts are the same and like you, use OE's
    default settings to pick up mail. There are 3 different ISPs, 8 mail
    accounts.

    Trent C, Mar 5, 2004
  13. Bill R

    Bill R Guest

    OE 6.00.2800.1123, 512K ADSL, 3 ISPs (incl Yahoo), 15 accounts, settings
    same as you, but I don't have an "any connection available" option. Also
    have Norton AV email protect enabled, with the corresponding account name
    fiddles. I'm wondering if OE starts off with the accounts in order, but
    eventually loses track of the order after enough modifications.

    Bill R, Mar 5, 2004
  14. Bill R

    trout Guest

    Hmm. I can see why *yours* might be different, as I believe that
    this type of mail-filtering uses a proxy setting (I use a filtering
    program entirely separate from OE, before it downloads). Trent's is
    seemingly identical, though, unless it's an XP thing I don't know about.
    Odd.

    trout, Mar 5, 2004
  15. Bill R

    Trent© Guest

    This is a pure guess, but...

    After the default is used, I wonder if OE uses addresses to
    sort...rather than names.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Mar 6, 2004