    Options, but I would like to control what the "default" setting is also.

    TIA,

    John S

    John S, Jul 28, 2006

  2. John S

    peterwn Guest

    peterwn, Jul 29, 2006

  3. Assuming it is in the registry (and I imagine it is)...

    1. Change the homepage to something unique such as
    http://www.seniornet.org.nz

    2. Do a search of the registry for the above address.

    3. Export the registry key.

    4. Apply the reg file to every computer.

    Komrade Klark, Jul 29, 2006
  4. John S

    Dave Doe Guest

    If the PC's are workstations on a domain (with AD), then you can control
    that with (Domain) Group Policy.

    Dave Doe, Jul 29, 2006
  5. John S

    peterwn Guest

    I think what the op is after is the 'hard' default that MS (or the OEM
    hardware manufacturer) uses, this being beyond the reach of the average
    user.

    peterwn, Jul 29, 2006
  6. John S

    Gordon Guest

    When there type in the home page URL eg www.microsoft.com and click the OK
    button, at bottom of the window.

    Or surf to page to want as home page and select current page for, Tools >
    Internet Options > Home page

    Or have I missed something?

    Gordon, Jul 29, 2006
  7. John S

    E. Scrooge Guest

    LOL

    The OP has no intention of showing people at his Senior Net how the Homepage
    options actually work so that learners can start off at their favourite page
    on their own home computers every time they go online.

    What he wants to do is alter the registry settings so that the homepage
    options are locked out on the computers at his Senior Net.
    He should be worried about keeping his security up to date, if the old folk
    are online on his computers unsupervised. Good on them if they go ahead
    with a few dodgy installations that installs spyware etc onto the systems.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 29, 2006
  8. John S

    John S Guest

    Just following up my own post, many thanks to those who made suggestions.

    Thanks to "peterwn" for suggesting the MS article at
    This proved to be interesting and I expect the registry locations quoted in
    that article should be the places to look - I will try that out during the
    week.

    For anyone who is curious as to why I want to do this, it's no big deal - I
    just want all the computers used by the class to initially behave the same
    way - and go to the same page when the "default" page is in use.

    I tutor a basic (4 lesson) introductory course on the internet. Before the
    first lesson of each class I prepare all the computers by clearing out
    changes made by prior classes (eg clear the "history", clean out all the
    "favorites" entries, and set the home page back to "Default").

    During the first lesson, students get an explanation of what a home page
    is, and are told that their computer's default page will have already been
    chosen by someone else before they get the computer. They are shown how to
    change the home page to a site of their own choice (they will then use the
    NZ Herald site as an exercise), or to have a blank home page if they so
    desire.

    Later they learn about the "favorites" bookmarks, and they practice
    entering URls there, and then organising them into folders etc.

    I find that cleaning out the settings prior to lesson one is pretty helpful
    in reducing confusion which can otherwise be caused by the presence of
    entries made by previous classes. It will be slightly easier fo me if I
    can just click the "use default" for the home page, and know that all
    computers will then display the same thing when first started.

    Haven't decided yet what home page to choose for the default??

    Again, many thanks to those who took the trouble to offer help.

    Cheers, John S

    John S, Jul 30, 2006
  9. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Good man.
    I always set NZCity up as the default on PCs I set up. (www.nzcity.co.nz) It
    can then be further personalised to show weather and tides for you area and
    your horoscope etc.
    Good luck,

    ~misfit~, Jul 31, 2006