How to blur the background with PANASONIC LUMIX FZ20

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tramoman, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. tramoman

    tramoman Guest

    Hello,
    I just bought a new panas z20, and I am taking some test shots.
    I know that the digital non SLR have a huge depth of field, but I saw
    some pics on internet using my camera with the background blurred.

    So, I was wondering if you can give any advice and tip how to perform

    1) MACRO or CLOSE UP
    2) PORTRAITS

    I know that I theory you should use a telelens and and i.e. F0.8, but I
    found very difficult to focus when I stand 1 or 2mt from the subject.

    Can somebody can send me any example of picture with the right settings
    (sharp subject and blurred background) of a pana z10 or 20?

    Any help?

    tramoman, Jul 23, 2005

  2. tramoman

    Bigguy Guest

    Best to use 'A' (aperture priority mode) and set a small f No (f2.8 to f4).

    Use the middle to telephoto end of the zoom range.

    Have the background far behind the subject.

    Focus on the subject's eyes.

    Guy

    Bigguy, Jul 23, 2005

  3. tramoman

    King Sardon Guest

    For the same image size, the focal length does not affect depth of
    field.

    KS

    King Sardon, Jul 23, 2005
  4. tramoman

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    You need to experiment. The precise settings depend on your subject and
    the distance between your camera and your subject. In am not familiar
    with your particular camera, but the concept does not vary between
    cameras. If your camera has an aperture priority mode, use it and try
    adjusting the aperture and see what it gets you. Start with the largest
    aperture (small number) and then go from there. Just shoot the same
    subject from the same vantage point on each aperture setting to see what
    results you get.

    That's the great thing about digital photograph, it costs nothing to
    experiment with your camera.

    Stan Horwitz, Jul 23, 2005
  5. tramoman

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Usually when shooting in macro mode the DOF is quite limited anyway,
    even with a compact camera, unless you use a very small aperture.
    Keep the background far away from the subject.

    Another option is to blur the background manually with a photo editor
    (create a second layer which is a copy of the first, blur it, apply a
    visibility mask, then selectively make the subject come out).

    Alfred Molon, Jul 23, 2005
  6. tramoman

    ASAAR Guest

    As others have said, use Aperture mode set to the widest aperture.
    While one of the previous suggestions to focus on the subjects eyes
    is probably a good starting point, try this.

    1. Take the pictures as close to the subject as possible, which
    will increase the blurring of the background. Anything you can do
    to reduce the focusing distance will help maximize the background
    blur.

    2. Some cameras I've seen have one or two macro modes, and if the
    camera isn't in any of the macro modes may not focus properly if the
    subject is too close. For example, the Fuji S5100 has a macro mode
    that focuses nicely from very close distances out to a bit more than
    6 feet. If I'm not using macro mode, then focusing can be difficult
    if the lens is zoomed to a long focal length and the subject
    distance is less than 6 feet.

    3. Don't just try to focus on the eyes. Since you already have too
    much depth of field, take advantage of it. Try focusing closer than
    the eyes. If there's nothing in the frame slightly closer than the
    eyes to focus on, the subject could hold a focusing aid a couple of
    inches in closer while you depress the shutter half-way, or you
    could move a couple of inches closer to the subject, focus on the
    eyes, and when the focus locks, back off a couple of inches before
    taking the picture.

    ASAAR, Jul 23, 2005
  7. tramoman

    tramoman Guest

    WOW!
    It works! Thanks a lot guys for your tips!
    Really appreciate!
    manuel

    tramoman, Jul 23, 2005
  8. tramoman

    ASAAR Guest

    You're welcome. You've got a nice camera, and if you're lucky,
    you'll still be learning new ways to do things with it even a year
    or two from now. :)

    ASAAR, Jul 24, 2005
  9. tramoman

    Stacey Guest

    Yes but the objects at infinity BEHIND the subject will be larger using a
    longer focal length so the DOF of that portion of the image IS affected. Go
    try it yourself and see.

    Stacey, Jul 24, 2005
  10. tramoman

    King Sardon Guest

    I'm struggling with the term "DOF of that portion of the image" since
    each image has only one DOF. But certainly, selecting a different
    focal length while maintaining the image size of the subject gives a
    different perspective and that will change the appearance of the
    background.

    KS

    King Sardon, Jul 24, 2005
  11. rarelychecked, Aug 6, 2005