How to block *really* annoying ads on NZHerald?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    The Herald has started placing some really annoying ads (mainly it
    seems) for HP on their site.

    This page has one as I type (not sure if they always fire or not):

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=2&ObjectID=10343123

    They appear in the middle of the screen *over* the text of the story
    so you cannot read it at first until it dances off the screen.

    Note that this is *not* a pop-up window, they appear to be flash
    animations or something like that.

    Does anyone have a suggestion for blocking this type of thing
    specifically?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    Alan, Aug 30, 2005

  2. If you are using Firefox, you can get the Adblock extension that lets
    you block specific Flash content like this.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 30, 2005

  3. Alan

    Greg Guest

    easy fix, complain to the herald, complain to HP tell them that due to
    the intrusive nature of the add you will be going out of your way *not*
    to purchase from them, and you will be telling everyone you know about
    this fact.

    It will get their attention pretty fast

    Greg

    Greg, Aug 30, 2005
  4. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Unfortunately not at work - I am using IE6 and cannot really change
    that.

    Sorry - I should have specified the browser.

    I though of using the HOSTS file, but I cannot work out where the
    flash files are being served from (and if they are being served from
    the nzherald.co.nz domain then obviously I cannot block that entirely
    without killing the entire site).

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    Alan, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi Greg,

    Thank you for the suggestion.

    You are probably right, but they are not the only ones to be doing
    this (site or advertiser) so I was looking for a more generic
    solution, and also something less time consuming than engaging with
    the 'culprits' one-by-one.

    Also, the truth is that whilst the ads are intensely annoying, they
    will not actually stop me going to the NZHerald site, nor will they
    stop me buying HP products, and I will not lie to either organisation
    about that. However, if anyone reading this *does* feel that they
    would stop buying from HP over this, then by all means go right ahead
    and tell them so!

    Any more technically oriented / passive ideas?

    Alan.

    Alan, Aug 30, 2005
  6. They are not being served from NZherald - they come from multiple
    dedicated ad servers. You should be able to find where they come from by
    examining the source code carefully.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 30, 2005
  7. Alan

    Keith Guest

    If your permissions allow you, make the Herald site a "Restricted Site".

    Go Tools|InternetOptions and then select the Secruity tab. Then put the
    Herald site in the Restricted Sites list. That's how I stopped the Stuff
    "pop-up" ads at my work which are also some kind of Flash thingy.

    Keith, Aug 30, 2005
  8. Alan

    RdM Guest

    From my current Mozilla adblock settings
    http://ads.apn.co.nz/jserver/*
    That seems to clean it up nicely.
    No HP (or any other) ads on the OP's quoted page.

    RdM, Aug 30, 2005
  9. Alan

    MarkH Guest

    I would think therefore that adding the entry to the hosts file null-
    routing ads.apn.co.nz should solve the problem.
    i.e. 127.0.0.1 ads.apn.co.nz

    I have this site set in my blocked pages on my proxy/firewall on my server.
    This works for all PCs in the house and works well when I reinstall on a PC
    without having to add all the annoying ad sites.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 16-August-05)

    MarkH, Aug 30, 2005
  10. Alan

    Bart Guest

    Blocking the adds in Firefox works well. IE is a pig after using Firefox
    anyway.

    Bart, Aug 30, 2005
  11. Let me put it this way: I see no ad, no animation when I load that URL.
    I see one little red tag [ad] which tells me where one has been blocked.

    I use Mozilla Firefox as browser. I use The Proxomitron as a spam
    filter. Firefox is manually set to use The Proxomitron as proxy server,
    and I have the 'macromedia flash killer' filter turned on in 'The
    Proxomitron'. ( you can selectively enable and disable filters, download
    new ones, even write your own if you can program a bit and use boolean
    expressions).
    Since I tend to get migraines triggered by animated ads,I make sure I
    *never* have to look at the damn things.

    http://duke.usask.ca/~macphed/prox/

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Aug 30, 2005
  12. Didn't read the whole thread before replying. Proxomitron also works
    with MSIE and Opera if you set it up as proxy for http ...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 30, 2005
  13. Alan

    Another Guy Guest

    Buy a paper copy of the newspaper? Then you can choose whether to read the
    advertisements or not, in between reading the news articles that you have
    purchased.

    This problem was raised some time ago in the nz.general group (IIRC), and in
    my opinion was a case of gift horse : mouth.

    Another Guy, Aug 30, 2005
  14. Alan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    That one is served from bs.serving-sys.com (I kid you not) and I already
    have it blocked in Firefox.

    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2005
  15. Alan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Oh, OK. I have bs.serving-sys.com blocked for that page too and figured it
    came from there. (As that's what's showing at the bottom of Firefox).

    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2005