how to block a specific website...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RJK, Nov 4, 2007.

  1. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Background:-
    Networking knowledge :- almost zero :)
    Hardware :- Orange Livebox is the "front" adsl modem/router, which feeds
    internet to a
    WAG354G which is acting as a "dumb router" ...as I understand it. ...both
    outside the house in my office.
    WAG354 feeds internet/wifi to Dad's PC / WMP54G card in the house.

    Problem :-
    Niece in the house permanently glued to www.bebo.com !

    I've just set a Group Policy in the WAG354G, ...(using the PC in the
    house's MAC code),
    to "block by URL" the bebo website e.g. http://www.bebo.com and she's
    still happily bebo'ing away in there !

    ...just had a thought, ...just checked ... http://www.bebo.co.uk brings up
    bebo, ...as well as their *.com domain, ...looks like they've got atleast
    two, or several domain names,
    ....can I use wildcards in the Linksys router "block by URL," ...e,g,
    *.bebo.* ...or http://*.bebo.* or http://www.bebo.*
    etc. the help plate in the WAG354G doesn't give any help with syntax :-(

    any help appreciated !

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 4, 2007

  2. RJK

    RJK Guest

    ....WAG354G seems to have accepted http://www.bebo.*
    What I also meant to ask in my OP was,
    Does adding a Group Policy in theWAG354G, to block a URL, take effect
    immediately, or because the target PC is already using that web site, it can
    continue to do so ?

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 4, 2007

  3. RJK

    RJK Guest

    ooh! looks like my WAG354G can't block websites becuase it's acting as a
    "dumb router," i.e. I would need to do it in the Orange Livebox / front
    router, that doesn't appear to have that facility in its' firmware ?

    This a most annoying combination of hardware, i.e. the Livebox has to have
    first access to the adsl signal or the "relay" in it / for telephony/VOIP,
    won't work - also Orange Livebox will not allow access to my Orange free
    webspace (have to disconnect it and put WAG354G in "front" - which means
    that VOIP can't work)... !!

    Anyone know of a combined adsl/router with VOIP facility in it that will
    work with Orange broadband, and also allow me to ftp to my Orange free
    webspce ?

    (I have read through Orange discussion forums, watching people commenting on
    these issues, have never spotted a solution - Orange tech. support is simply
    inadequate on these issues from what I've seen).

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 4, 2007
  4. If the hardware way doesn't work, you may try software, for example,
    Enabling Content Advisor under Internet Option or Setup Group Policy to
    Restrict Internet Access. This how to may help.

    how to restrict internet accessHow to restrict Internet Access. You may have
    many options to disable a user or computer to access the Internet. Some
    options can be adopted for many users ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/Internet/restrictie0.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Nov 4, 2007
  5. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Thanks for your reply,

    Things do seem to be heading towards tweaking software on Dad's PC, in the
    house, as you suggest.

    again, thanks.

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 4, 2007
  6. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 4, 2007
  7. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Aha ! thanks Jack
    ...."the obvious is often overlooked, ....at least "I" seem to keep
    overlooking it !
    ....I do keep, and regularly update the mvps.org hosts file on both PC's

    again, thanks,

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Nov 5, 2007