    I have seen this with html files and related files when using
    FrontPage.

    Thanks!

    Kompu Kid, Sep 5, 2007

  2. Kompu Kid

    Rick Merrill Guest

    give them the same name as each other and the same file
    extensions as you see with the html files - should work.

    Rick Merrill, Sep 5, 2007

  3. Kompu Kid

    Jack Pott Guest

    I didn't think you could have two identical file names in the same
    directory. Is that wrong?

    Jack Pott, Sep 5, 2007
  4. Kompu Kid

    why? Guest

    That's the application managing it, and it didn't always work.

    MSIE does it as well when you save a webpage / folder. You move the
    webpage and the folder follows it.

    The really simple way of course is create a folder put the 2 files in
    the folder and move the folder.

    Here is some info about,

    save complete web pages including images, scripts, linked files and
    other elements in Internet Explorer.
    http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1075/
    Me

    why?, Sep 5, 2007
  5. Kompu Kid

    why? Guest

    Perhaps that way but I seem to recall someone saying years ago that how
    files updates in service packs are done. There is a special file
    attribute, but that's a particular case.

    Me

    why?, Sep 5, 2007
  6. Kompu Kid

    Pennywise Guest

    I think it's possible if the short file name (8.3) is different.

    Pennywise, Sep 5, 2007
  7. Kompu Kid

    Whiskers Guest

    Put them both into a directory of their own, and move the directory with
    all its contents. If you have any shortcuts or links to them from within
    other programs or web-pages, you should check all those to make sure they
    match the changed location of the files. Alternatively, put both the
    files inside an 'archive' file - such as .tar or .zip; you probably won't
    be able to use or modify the files while they're inside the archive, but
    if all you want to do is make it easier to archive something ...

    Whiskers, Sep 6, 2007
  8. How can you have two filename/extensions that are the same, but for
    which the 8.3 subsets are different?

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 6, 2007
  9. Kompu Kid

    Pennywise Guest

    longfi~1.txt and longfi~2.txt
    Two different short file names for
    longfilename.txt

    I tried to change the short file name but it just changed the file
    name itself.

    I'm sure I'm wrong but I thought I'd heard/read that somewhere.
    so, only one HotBabe.jpg per dir...

    Pennywise, Sep 6, 2007
  10. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 6, 2007
  11. Kompu Kid

    Mark S. Guest

    If putting the 2 files into the same archive/folder is too simple/boring for
    you, try this....

    Define a set of rules that you want, along with your file extension / custom
    key press.
    Write a custom shell extension that monitors all file copy/move operations.
    If you move/copy a file, your shell extension will search the same folder
    for any relevant files, and it will move/copy them also.
    You'll need admin privileges to install the shell extension onto every
    computer you want this functionality with.

    This should keep you busy for a few weeks.

    Mark S., Sep 6, 2007