How to best use IDSM in promiscuous mode?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Hoffa, Sep 20, 2007.

  1. Hoffa

    Hoffa Guest

    Hi folks

    I need some input and ideas how to best set up my IDSM2 module.
    Today I have the module set up to capture traffic from the 6513 using
    SPAN in both directions and two different firewalled VLANs as sources.
    The destination is data-port 1 on the IDSM. This setup is working fine
    but I'm curious as how to best use the second data-port. Our 6513 runs
    IOS 12.2(18)SXF3 and has a limit of only one SPAN session set up to
    capture an entire VLAN in both directions.
    My idea was to use the second data-port as SPAN destination for our
    external/non-firewalled VLAN, but this isn't allowed.
    Does anyone have or had a similar problem? Would using a VLAN access
    list with data-port 2 as destination be an option or are the dual IDSM
    interfaces mainly used for inline mode?

    Regards
    Fredrik Hofgren

    Hoffa, Sep 20, 2007