How to avoid viruses that contain attachments?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I already delete most spam (unread) because I can delete 90 percent just by
    looking at the names. I also know better than to open attachments that I
    was not expecting to receive, and I watch for attachments such as *.exe.
    However, it appears from some news reports that some viruses (such as SoBig)
    are activated simply by opening the email itself. Is that correct? In
    other words, is the worm propagated regardless of whether the attachment is
    opened? If so, what is the solution?

    I am on cable and use a Netgear firewall. I also have Norton AV installed
    with current AV definitions, and over a period of time it has caught some
    incoming viruses (doing its job). Assuming that a virus gets past this
    point, I don't have any way of looking at the name of an attachment until
    *after* the email has already been opened (although I can see before opening
    that the message contains an attachment of *some* sort). I am using Eudora
    5.1 for email.

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Aug 22, 2003

  2. MaryL

    Richard Guest

    MaryL wrote:>>
    No. So far no one has been able to write a virus which is self starting. You
    must activate the attachment by opening it. Then you become infected.
    If your service provides web mail, use it instead. Since the attachment is
    not yet on your machine locally, your machine is safe. As long as you run a
    good firewall, as your service more than likely does, your virus detector
    will detect the virus and stop it before you get it. Just make sure your
    database is up to date.

    Richard, Aug 22, 2003

  3. by

    <snip>

    MaryL, Best way to go is to turn off the preview pane in OE, make sure your
    AV is updated frequently, and that you have updated your Windows using MS's
    site. That in itself will protect your machine from a lot of problems, and
    viruses...

    NOI

    thund3rstruck_n0i, Aug 22, 2003
  4. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks, I have already done all that. I guess I'm just being paranoid.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Aug 22, 2003
  5. MaryL

    Sonia XX Guest

    Not true canny remember which one it was but I am sure your find out soon.

    Sonia XX

    Sonia XX, Aug 22, 2003
  6. Not a bad thing nowadays, IMO...

    You're welcome.

    NOI

    thund3rstruck_n0i, Aug 22, 2003
  7. MaryL

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Aug 22, 2003
  8. Howdy!

    <cough> HTML mail <cough>

    IOW - you're so wrong, it's not even funny. If HTML is enabled, AND
    there's no other controls, then a script in an email will auto run.

    Which is one reason why I run text-only, BTW ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 23, 2003