    appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dan

    KKNDS2, Feb 12, 2004

  2. KKNDS2

    PhotoMan Guest

    Don't have your subjects posed with a wall behind them; keep an open area in
    the background whenever possible. The principle of 'bounced flash' also
    helps overcome this problem.

    PhotoMan, Feb 12, 2004

  3. KKNDS2

    George Guest

    Two options:
    1) add light to the shadow areas (reflectors, bounce your flash, use a flash
    to fill in shadows, etc)
    2) remove (move or move away from) surface that the shadow is falling on
    (i.e., move away from walls, etc.)

    George, Feb 12, 2004
  4. KKNDS2

    Bob Guest

    First opion is to balance the power output of the flash to the ambiant
    light. If it is too dark to do this you should then look at the option of
    using bounce flash. If this can't be done the only other option is to change
    the quality of the flash light. This is best done with off camera flash and
    a multi unit set up, which I don't think you would want to do. The easy
    quick way is to fit a diffuser onto the flash. I often use a small softbox
    12 X 15. This spreads and softens the light a little but results are still
    poor. The ultimate answer is to buy a tripod and do a long exposure, all
    the above options can be used with a tripod assisted long exposure and flash
    used to fill in any unwanted shadows.
    This really is a subject that has no quick easy answer. People have written
    books on it, so have a look at them and do some test shots.

    Bob, Feb 12, 2004
  5. KKNDS2

    Patrick L. Guest

    Ahh, so you want to shoot like a pro, eh?

    I shoot with my dedicated flash unit connected via a cord to my hot shoe,
    and hold the flash unit up high, with an omnibounce diffuser. It's a PITA
    to shoot this way, if you are doing weddings like I do, but it really helps
    reduce the shadows. If there is a low white cieling, always bounce it off
    the cieling at an angle.

    The other way is to mount a slave flash unit on a stand, and use it along
    with your camera flash.

    Never shoot anyone standing close to a wall, which is another good rule.

    Patrick

    Patrick L., Feb 12, 2004
  6. Turn the flash off.

    Martin Francis, Feb 12, 2004
  7. and hold real still.

    Luigi de Guzman, Feb 12, 2004
  8. Of all the evil creature from DownUnderWorld (DUW), the
    Shadows are the most dreaded. They are not easy to
    avoid. The best you can do is stay out of sunshine
    or strong lamp light. An overcast day is to prefere.
    Beware if you have a Photo Aparatus (PA) sporting a
    Direct Light Lightning Device (DLLD). This device is the
    most feared Shadow Maker (SM) of them all. If you are
    forced to use such a divice it is better to get a more
    powerful one that can be directed to a nearby white
    chalked cieling or such. Then the Shadow will be cast
    lower and less visible. If that is not possible, then
    you are adviced to use a black backround or a backround
    far away from the victim you force to cast such an
    evil Shadow. This will diminish the power of the Shadow
    and save the victim from its Cruel Casting (CC).

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Feb 12, 2004
  9. dunno, I heard 'bout this thing on ther intermonet called a "try pod".

    Martin Francis, Feb 12, 2004
  10. I just made an album that shows how the various light modifiers that I have
    create shadows:

    http://www.the-meissners.org/2004-small-albums/2004-flashmod/index.html

    The bottom line is the ceiling bounce and shoot into umbrella provided the
    softest shadows.

    Michael Meissner, Feb 13, 2004
  11. KKNDS2

    Alan Walker Guest

    I've had some success using an off-camera flash unit fitted with a
    remote slave trigger [?] This requires the built-in flash to fire [to
    trigger the off-camera flash] and the shadows this would cast can be
    eliminated by taping a piece of exposed negative colour film over the
    tube [careful to avoid the sensor]. This cuts out most of the visible
    light but allows through the infra red which does the triggering.
    Quite a versatile and cheap arrangement - you can put the flash - or
    flashes - anywhere.

    Alan.

    Alan Walker, Feb 14, 2004