How to approach troubleshooting wireless connections?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by Philip Herlihy, May 24, 2009.

  1. Not beaten yet...

    Phil

    Philip Herlihy, May 30, 2009

  2. Ok, so I'm beaten now, but at least I know where the problem is.
    Wireshark did allow me to rule out a number of problems I'd imagined.

    I've been working with the machine remotely, connected via Ethernet.
    After a lot of fiddling and poring over various firewall and router logs
    there is nothing in any of them to shed light on this. Oddly, the
    Wireless card can pick up an IP address from the router, but nothing can
    subsequently connect to, or ping, that address. I've concluded that
    this wireless card simply doesn't work with that AP (different makes,
    although I get the same problem with a nearby one of the same make.

    Gremlins!

    Phil

    Philip Herlihy, May 30, 2009