    from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite :-(

    Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
    for several >1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Feb 18, 2008

  2. Lars-Erik Østerud

    l v Guest

    What operating system?

    l v, Feb 18, 2008

  3. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Matt Ion Guest

    I find that almost universally, it's the non-Windows users who are
    intelligent enough to provide OS information. Your typical Windows
    (l)user doesn't understand that not all computers run on Windows. Thus
    it's safe to assume that we're dealing with some version of Windows here.

    Matt Ion, Feb 18, 2008
  4. Lars-Erik Østerud

    John Navas Guest

    It's a matter of market share, not intelligence.
    Insulting Windows users does you no credit.

    John Navas, Feb 18, 2008
  5. Lars-Erik Østerud

    H.S. Guest

    Rephrased:
    Non-windows users are more aware of what they are dealing with and tend
    to provide relevant information when asking questions here. Most Windows
    users, however, take it for guaranteed that everyone else is using
    Windows too. They are as likely to be completely ignorant of any other
    kinds of OSes as well.

    H.S., Feb 18, 2008
  6. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Matt Ion Guest

    Why can't it be both?

    I'll say it again: Your typical Windows (l)user doesn't understand that
    not all computers run on Windows.
    Good thing I'm not looking for credit.

    Matt Ion, Feb 18, 2008
  7. Lars-Erik Østerud

    cmyk Guest

    cmyk, Feb 18, 2008
  8. Regardless of you OS, download exiftool by Phil Harvey
    (and install Perl if you don't have it).

    Of course writing a batch file or shell script to
    interate over your entire collection, and automating the
    correct date selection, is a programming task.

    Floyd L. Davidson, Feb 18, 2008
  9. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Guest Guest

    that's very likely, but fortunately the best tool for the job,
    exiftool, runs on mac/win/unix, so it really doesn't matter what
    operating system he uses. also, i think one of the examples in the
    help will write the file modification date to the exif date.

    <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    Guest, Feb 18, 2008
  10. Lars-Erik Østerud

    H.S. Guest

    Interesting. Would you know if this tool works in a batch mode in
    Windows? In Linux, I can type up bash commands in a few minutes to do
    this job automatically for any number of files. But if the tool doesn't
    work in batch mode in Windows, the user is going to take ages to do this
    one by one for his thousands of pictures!

    ->HS

    H.S., Feb 18, 2008
  11. Lars-Erik Østerud

    l v Guest

    Usually the headers give it away too. The OP's headers did not reveal
    anything definitive.

    l v, Feb 19, 2008
  12. Lars-Erik Østerud

    l v Guest

    Not true. I recently responded to a post where the OP was looking for
    image cataloging software. After I responded with my windows centric
    answer, the OP replied that he was a Mac user.

    This is something *people* just assume but forget to include it in the
    question.

    l v, Feb 19, 2008
  13. Lars-Erik Østerud

    l v Guest

    jhead from http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead has a -dsft option.

    l v, Feb 19, 2008
  14. Usually the headers give it away too. The OP's headers did not reveal
    If they use MS Outlook :)
    But I use Forte Agent :)

    Anyway, I bought AttributeMagic Pro.
    Can batch-change all attributes I need.
    Also copy from the file-date to EXIF dates.

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Feb 19, 2008
  15. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Matt Ion Guest

    Still true: note such qualifiers as "most", "typical", "likely", etc.

    There are exceptions both ways, but the overwhelming majority of cases
    hold to the generalizations above.

    Matt Ion, Feb 19, 2008
  16. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Typically, Windows users assume that everyone IS using Windows, probably
    because 95% of computer users ARE using Windows. It is a reasonable, if
    not always correct, assumption, if the OS in use is not stated.
    Hardly an insult, in any case.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 19, 2008

  17. And, of course, they naively assume that it's never relevant what
    *version* of Windows they're using. And I'm being kind by using
    "naively".

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2008
  18. Lars-Erik Østerud

    John Navas Guest

    It often isn't relevant, in part because the great majority are using
    2000/XP/Vista in any event.

    John Navas, Feb 19, 2008
  19. Lars-Erik Østerud

    l v Guest

    That would be the difference between stereotyping and generalizing. By
    using qualifiers you stay away from the absolutes which is always wrong.

    l v, Feb 19, 2008
  20. Often isn't the same as never. And in more computer-technical-oriented
    groups I see people using Win98SE pretty much every day. And plenty of
    issues specific to versions. Granted, not in this group.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2008