    the menu options when I right click on an .avi or .mpeg file.

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Sep 12, 2005

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    dadiOH Guest

    The easiest/most versatile way is to go get FastExplorer
    http://thesoftpro.tripod.com/downloads/fe/index.htm

    More info in my dandies below.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Sep 12, 2005

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Mike Easter Guest

    Check out OpenExpert at http://www.baxbex.com/openexpert.html

    There's another Open Expert for $30 but the one at the link above which
    is /this/ one's developer, is free.

    Mike Easter, Sep 12, 2005
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    dadiOH Guest

    FastExplorer is a wonderful program for making right click context menus
    but just in case the only thing you ever want to do is what you posted
    about...

    Start
    Settings
    Folder options...
    File Types (tab)

    1. Run down the list and find the file type description for the app
    opening .avi & .mpeg (presumably, Windows media Player)

    2. Select and click "Edit"

    [new window]

    3. Click "New" under the actions box

    [new window]

    4. Type in the "action". This is what will be displayed in the righ
    click menu so something like "Open with VLC Media Player" or just "VLC
    Media Player" would be appropriate. (no quotes)

    5. Click "Browse" and do so to the VLC Media Player folder

    6. Select the exe and click "Open"

    7. OK your way out of all windows.

    dadiOH
    __________________

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Sep 12, 2005
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    dadiOH Guest

    dadiOH, Sep 12, 2005
  6. ECLiPSE 2002

    Miles Ahead Guest

    Another approach that's totally free is to use the SendTo folder.
    I picked up a tip on Screen Savers that shows how to add the
    command "Send To SendTo" to the Send To Menu(I know it
    sounds confusing.)

    Basically for C: based XP setups you go into
    C:\documents and settings\user
    in explorer where 'user' is the particular user name

    Make sure explorer is set to show hidden files and folders.
    Open another explorer window to a different folder(like C:\temp
    or something)and drag the SendTo folder
    to it and create a shortcut. Rename the shortcut "Send To"
    with a space.

    Now go inside the C:\documents and settings\user\SendTo
    folder and drag the shortcut you just made in C:\temp into it.
    Close your explorer windows.

    Now when you right click on anything in explorer and go into the Send
    To menu they'll be a Folder icon with the command "Send To SendTo".

    Once you have that setup, right click on any program, go to
    Send To menu, then select "Send To SendTo" and that
    program will be in the Send To menu. From then on right
    click on any video file and use the Send To menu to send it
    to any video player you put in the menu. Works with any
    app that takes a filename as command line param.

    Miles Ahead, Sep 12, 2005
  7. ECLiPSE 2002

    Miles Ahead Guest

    Whoops! My bad!! Told you it's confusing. :) Actually once you
    complete the shortcut creation and put it in the SendTo folder,
    the command inside the Send To menu will say whatever you
    named the shortcut. If you want the command to say
    "Send to SendTo Menu" just rename the shortcut you
    made to "Send to SendTo Menu". Any shortcut in
    the SendTo folder is just reflected in the menu. The
    shortcut refers to the SendTo folder itself. Recursive
    techniques are always a bit confusing. :)

    Miles Ahead, Sep 12, 2005
  8. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Many thanks to dadiOH, Mike Easter and Miles Ahead for their

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Sep 13, 2005