How to access a program after new hard drive installation?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OrmesbyJohn, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    Friend just added another hard drive (C) and upgraded OS to XP.

    Previous hard drive now slave (D)

    He had a Calender program pre-installed (he had no installation CD) that he
    now can't access after the upgrade.

    How does he transfer the necessary files and program (and retain the data)
    from D to C in order that the program will function as it did before?

    Program details:-

    Name: Corel Family & Friends Reminders

    Command: CFFREM.EXE

    list manager. Part of Corel Print House Magic

    Thanks,

    John

    ----------------

    OrmesbyJohn, Aug 16, 2004

  2. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    The original program will (almost certainly) need to
    be reinstalled.

    °Mike°, Aug 16, 2004

  3. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    Please don't give such bad advice; this could render
    a system completely unusable.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Aug 16, 2004
  4. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    How does he do that?..as I say it was pre-installed he doesn't have a
    CD...AND he's real keen to retain the various data.?

    OrmesbyJohn, Aug 16, 2004
  5. OrmesbyJohn

    Eli Aran Guest

    find a program that searches the drives for references to locations on the
    disk and SWITCHES any drive letter in the located paths to the one you
    select. for example make all references to c: become d: etc.

    Eli Aran, Aug 16, 2004
  6. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    Trying to help is good, but when that "help" can render
    somebody else's system useless, it's not help, is it?

    Be SURE about the advice you are giving, before you
    give it -- you're not messing with your own system.

    °Mike°, Aug 16, 2004
  7. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    If he hasn't got the CD or the downloaded setup
    file, then you will have to explore other means,
    such as seeing if there is a copy for purchase on
    eBay (I believe it's no longer supported by Corel).

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Aug 16, 2004
  8. OrmesbyJohn

    Eli Aran Guest

    sorry.
    trying to help.

    Eli Aran, Aug 16, 2004
  9. OrmesbyJohn

    Brian Guest

    It's not bad advice; there are many apps that can safely do this.
    One such app is COA (Change Of Address), which can be found here:

    http://www.nettally.com/waldoe/freeware/fileutil.html

    Brian, Aug 17, 2004
  10. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    OrmesbyJohn, Aug 17, 2004
  11. OrmesbyJohn

    Eli Aran Guest

    Eli Aran, Aug 17, 2004
  12. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    TVM - Will advise friend leaves well alone :)
    ----------------

    OrmesbyJohn, Aug 17, 2004
  13. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Aug 17, 2004
  14. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, it is.
    Read the "bad advice" again, and put yourself in the position
    of a computer novice. The advice given was to find "references
    to locations of the disk and SWITCHES *any*(1) drive letter in the
    located paths to the one you select." That is a far too blanket
    statement, and *is* bad advice.

    (1) my emphasis.

    COA can still make applications fail to work; I've seen it.

    °Mike°, Aug 17, 2004
  15. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:32:08 +0100, in
    <cfs8p8$i6r$>
    OrmesbyJohn scrawled:

    No, but I've fixed machines borked by this, and other programs
    like it.
    At his own risk.

    °Mike°, Aug 17, 2004
  16. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    That's not what he's trying to do at all. He's trying
    to restore a program onto ANOTHER disk/system, without
    an installer. Doing what you suggested (even if you
    had worded your 'advice' better, will almost certainly
    not work. It's not a simple matter of changing drive
    letters -- shared files have to be registered in the new
    system; the program has to be correctly registered (not
    just program locations) in the registry; there might be
    browser integration, shell extensions, CLSIDs to be
    correctly registered etc.
    In most cases, it won't.
    Yes, it was.

    °Mike°, Aug 17, 2004
  17. OrmesbyJohn

    Eli Aran Guest

    I believe the guy is trying to save his system without having to reinstall
    it completely (at least hoping not to have to)
    if the program offered to change the location paths can do this the right
    way and the biggest risk is having to reinstall the personal applications
    again (those that no longer work only) then maybe it IS a good idea.
    he is most probably going to backup his personal files before all this
    anyway!
    worst case scenario - the program did not solve his request to correct the
    paths accordingly, and he is forced to reinstall windows again...
    if this is the case then he will need to reinstall the applications as well!
    so why not give the path-repair program a try?
    I don't think my suggestion was so bad after all.

    Eli Aran, Aug 17, 2004
  18. OrmesbyJohn

    Eli Aran Guest

    ok
    I see

    Eli Aran, Aug 18, 2004
  19. OrmesbyJohn

    Brian Guest

    Obviously changing and drive letter ALONE is a bad idea, but changing
    a drive letter from a PATH OF THE APP is not a bad idea. Assume this
    is a Registry entry: C:\Program Files\MyApp\MyApp.exe. Changing the
    letter C to E (E:\Program Files\MyApp\MyApp.exe) and moving the MyApp
    folder from C to E will NOT cause any system problems AT ALL.
    An app failing is not disastrous like the OS failing. :)

    Brian, Aug 18, 2004
  20. OrmesbyJohn

    °Mike° Guest

    No, assume nothing. The "advice" was quite clearly blanket and
    totally ambiguous to a novice PC user, THAT is my point.
    Again, that's NOT what the advice was.
    Did I say that it was?

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2004