    be before we see non SLRs boasting 7MPs or more.

    Anybody have any hard intelligence in this regard?

    Carrigman

    Carrigman, Sep 21, 2003

  2. Carrigman

    J.A.G Guest

    Sony is coming out what a 8MP F828.

    J.A.G, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Carrigman

    JK Guest

    JK, Sep 21, 2003
  4. Carrigman

    Carrigman Guest

    Wow. Thanks for the link. I'm sending off my letter to Santa tomorrow!

    Carrigman

    Carrigman, Sep 21, 2003
  5. Carrigman

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Any other manufacturer following with a 7+ MP model ?

    Alfred Molon, Sep 21, 2003
  6. The 8 megapixel Sony 828 should be hitting the stores before Christmas. I
    believe a popular consensus is that it will have image noise, particularly
    above ISO 100.

    Michael Meissner, Sep 22, 2003
  7. Carrigman

    Godfrey Guest

    All digital cameras have noise, even the most expensive, big sensor ones
    available. The question is how much and how intrusive it is into your picture
    taking needs.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey, Sep 22, 2003
  8. Carrigman

    JPS Guest

    In message <bkklqh$8vs$>,
    There is already the Sony F828 about to be released, which is 8mp. I
    wouldn't get too excited about small digicams with small lenses and
    sensors with more than 5mp, though. Noise is an inevitable problem with
    tiny high-res sensors.

    JPS, Sep 27, 2003
  9. Carrigman

    JPS Guest

    In message <-meissners.org>,
    Even if it doesn't, it is most likely because it is sliced off in
    firmware, which always removes some real detail as well. I love when
    someone says, "check out my picture, no noise at all at ISO 400", and it
    looks like a cartoon, and has no detail, either.

    JPS, Sep 27, 2003
  10. Carrigman

    George Guest

    Does it matter for what you are doing? How large are the prints you are
    making? 5MP is good for 8x10...do you even have a photo quality printer
    that will make larger prints? This may be a non-issue for you.

    BTW--I used to be in the computer industry where product life cycles were 90
    days...looks like digital cameras are fast approaching that point. So, just
    don't buy "leading edge" products as the consumers for those products are
    funding the R&D with the premium prices charged (if you can call it R&D any
    more). If you are wealthy and impress your friends by having the latest
    toys before they do, then disregard this advice.

    I just wish other industries were as efficient as electronics. I'd love to
    say that I'm holding out for a new car until ones come out with more
    features at a lower price, or even better, a new house that is cheaper and
    better. Sometimes you just gotta know when something meets your needs and
    go for it!

    (How many great photos or memories have you missed by waiting? How much are
    they worth?)

    George, Oct 2, 2003
  11. Carrigman

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    Excellent advice, in my opinion.

    I've been reading reviews and opinions for a while now and as soon as
    I think I've made my mind up, along comes a new model. If you keep
    putting off buying, waiting for something slightly better to one along,
    you'll end up not buying.

    Barry

    Barry Smith, Oct 3, 2003
  12. Carrigman

    George Guest

    I think a salesman who used to work for me summed it up best when he told me
    that the problem wasn't that the customer couldn't make up his mind. The
    problem was that the customer didn't know when it was time to stop making
    new decisions...

    George, Oct 3, 2003
  13. Carrigman

    George Guest

    Barry,

    I think the trick here (and for others who have problems making up their
    minds especially with new models coming along at lightspeed) is to:
    1) educate yourself on the technologies involved and what different
    performance parameters mean
    2) decide what you want to be able to do
    3) determine what features and specs the camera must have to accomplish #2
    above and what a comfortable expenditure is for you and plan how long you
    want to use that camera before you'll allow yourself to consider "upgrading"
    4) when a model comes along that meets your performance, features, and
    pricing needs buy it
    5) stop tracking new camera models and start taking photos
    6) if you hear of a new model that makes you wish you'd bought it, stop and
    think about all the photos you would have missed if you'd waited for that
    model to come along (and you had no way of knowing if it ever would)

    Good luck,
    George

    George, Oct 5, 2003