  1. mailbox

    Conor Guest

    And you're a top posting twit.

    Conor, May 28, 2004

  2. Why is (was) this going to alt.pets.ferrets?
    Quarrantine is the least objectionable of three hidden malware stores,
    the others being within proprietary mailbox files and SR backup store.

    Unlike SR or email, you'd be unlikely to restore malware from
    quarrantine accidentally, and the av would be expected to spoof
    quarantined content so that it is unaccessible and cannot be automated
    back into effect. Are any av scandalously bad at that?

    No, perfection is not an entrance requirement.
    We'll settle for integrity and humility

    cquirke (MVP Win9x), May 29, 2004

  3. That may be so, but nothing I have said was quoted in this post.
    It is a "Tracker" thread, and she almost always posts to that group
    because she and the ferrets are "like minded".
    I suppose that it *is* possible to have a doubly infected program file that
    just recently has had support for cleaning added by the AV vendor. If the
    second infection obfuscated the prior, and the second was "repaired" by
    the AV - the obfuscated one might still function even though not detected
    or detectable by the AV in question.

    A longshot perhaps, but not entirely inconceivable unless I am missing
    something.
    Good question.

    FromTheRafters, May 29, 2004
  4. mailbox

    MC Guest

    Point taken and will be taken into consideration the next time I one line
    the twit.

    However, I have a question for you....You said if I was going to top
    post....so....is it ok to leave her entire post if I bottom post? Really
    doesn't make sense then as everyone would have to read through her idiocy to
    get to the reply, which is my biggest gripe about bottom posting....

    MC

    MC, May 29, 2004
  5. mailbox

    MC Guest

    I guess you bottom feeders...er...posters, like to re-read tons of posts
    just to get to the new part? Doesn't make a lot of sense. If it is top
    posted, I see the meat of the message immediately and if I want
    clarification, I can then scroll down to see what has been quoted. However,
    you can do as you see fit, and I will do likewise. Contrary to popular
    belief, there is no 'correct' way of quoting a post...writer's choice.

    Oh......I am sorry, I don't qualify as a twit....built wrong. Debbie, on
    the other hand.......

    MC

    MC, May 29, 2004
  6. mailbox

    FT Guest

    My true IP address? As opposed to what, my fake IP address?

    FT, May 29, 2004
  7. mailbox

    swamp Guest

    [snip the nonsense]
    Leythos is right. You can call a twit a twit and [snip] the rest of
    the drivel any time you please, MC. Top/bottom posting to a line of bs
    only perptuates it.

    Posting in context is better for everyone,

    -- swamp

    swamp, May 29, 2004
  8. cquirke (MVP Win9x) spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    Tracker claims the Ferret owners hacked her years ago, and she's out to
    expose them to the world...or some similar bullshit. :)

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_n0i, May 29, 2004
  9. mailbox

    Leythos Guest

    As an example, I removed my posting since you posted above it. I would
    never include anything that Tracker posts in a reply. All it does is
    spread her crap. Since none of us take her seriously (at all), there is
    no need to quote her - unless you are quoting her site address and how
    you've filed an abuse complaint to have it removed for TOS violations :)

    Leythos, May 29, 2004
  10. mailbox

    Leythos Guest

    Actually, Usenet has always maintained that the proper method is to snip
    the parts that are not needed and to bottom post as you would if you
    were ADDING something to the thread in a book.

    If you snip the parts that are not needed you don't have to scroll.

    Leythos, May 29, 2004
  11. the back cover and end up at the front?
    chapter one or do you start somewhere near
    When reading a book, do you start at
    But if is a lengthy post, how will you know which part the reply is for?
    There are certainly a lot of recommendations...

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Top-posting_or_bottom-posting
    http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html
    http://www.lionsgrove.com/topposting.html
    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm

    To quote from this last link:

    There are three reasons I do not like top posting.

    First, top posters tend never to snip, never to shorten that to which
    they reply. So people whose download time costs money are wasting
    money downloading enormous lengths of stuff they have already read.

    Second, and connected, is that you do not know with top posting
    whether someone has written something else later on, so do you waste
    your time going through it?

    Neither of these would matter if top posters snipped, but they tend
    not to.

    Third, it is much easier to read things in order, and you can see with
    good Netiquette how easily it flows. Let me give you a made-up example:

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 29, 2004
  12. mailbox

    MC Guest

    Except that...you are only one of a handful that ever clips the quoted post.
    I get so tired of having to scroll down through a mile of previous message
    quotes to read the 'addition'. And those people who are guilty of this
    practice, are vehement in their defense of bottom posting and NOT clipping
    the quote.

    GAH!

    Anymore, I just skip the message that is bottom posted, if I can't see the
    new add's.

    MC

    MC, May 29, 2004
  13. mailbox

    John Smith Guest

    Indeed, and by:

    a) top posting
    b) posting a reply to a message as a completely new thread and
    c) posting completely off-topic

    you have ensured that your messages will now be skipped and ignored.

    Goodbye moron.

    *plonk*

    John Smith, May 29, 2004
  14. mailbox

    Shane Guest

    Hey, plonk me too you pathetic wanker!

    Shane

    Shane, May 29, 2004
  15. Oh, OK
    I seem to remember various ferret-themed posts about Tracker, now that
    you mention it. Do the ferret ppl enjoy these threads, I wonder?
    Yes, it is a bit of a stretch, but possible in that the detection
    locus may differ from the activity locus so that breaking the first
    while preserving the second could result in a non-detectable but
    functional variant. If the altered locus carries over into new
    instances of the malware, you'd have a genuine spontaneous mut.
    Prolly safety in numbers there, in that we don't have a monoculture in
    av products as we do with OSs and MSware email, though Norton AV
    presents quite a target. If MS were to bundle their own av, then
    they'd likely attract that kind of detailled attention from malware.

    cquirke (MVP Win9x), May 29, 2004
  16. mailbox

    Nemo S. Guest

    Ferrets, I heard it was the Badgers no wait maybe it was the Weasels
    that was it the Weasels ...

    ~Nemo~

    Nemo S., May 29, 2004
  17. mailbox

    MC Guest

    Now..see, obviously, there lies a difference between your netiquette and
    mine. On my side of the fence, it is the courteous thing to do...change the
    topic, if the subject matter starts to drift too far from the original
    subject, and *I* felt it had..so...I changed it....so, John, this moron did
    what he felt was correct. Was I wrong...on your side of the fence, yes, on
    mine, no.

    Again, who is right and who is wrong. I say neither of us.

    As for being off-topic...I can assure you, I am OT in the ferret NG,
    but...seeing as this all started when the twit cross-posted, I am not
    reading any of the other NG's so, if I am posting OT, I apologize, as this
    is *only* being read in the alt.pets.ferrets NG. (And, I can see by looking
    at the NG's, I imagine I AM way OT!) Doubly sorry.

    But..with your attitude, what we say on this side of the fence is: "Don't
    let the screen door smack ya in the ass when you leave!"

    MC

    MC, May 30, 2004
  18. mailbox

    Mimic Guest

    I thought you knew more than everyone in here? Surely you should know

    --
    Mimic

    Social Engineering - Because theres no patch for human stupidity.
    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )

    Mimic, May 30, 2004
  19. mailbox

    Mimic Guest

    Why? Tell us why we should research all of these tracker

    Mimic, May 30, 2004
  20. mailbox

    Mimic Guest

    which is the whole point of bottom posting.
    You dont read a story starting from the last page innit

    Mimic, May 30, 2004