    and totally useless "pop-up" asking for installation of an update.

    It is driving me crazy; how in the F can it be removed, disabled or
    permanently prevented?

    Robert Baer, Mar 9, 2013

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Really old versions of Adobe Flash, did not offer a Control Panel.

    Now, you should go to your Control Panel folder, and look for the
    red-colored "Flash Player" control panel.

    In there, the "Advanced" tab has the tick box for selecting update
    policy. One of the options is

    "Never check for updates"

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 9, 2013

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    No such icon; all i could find was "Automatic Updates" which appears
    to be related only to WinDoze and i have that disabled.
    Any other ideas?

    Robert Baer, Mar 10, 2013
  4. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    OK.

    Try looking for a file like "mms.cfg".

    These are the two lines contained in my file.

    AutoUpdateDisable=1
    SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

    I found that file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 10, 2013
  5. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    GACK!!!
    No such file; i even did a search for *.CFG and found no related file.

    What i did find: files for my A-D board DAS802\InstaCal, half of the
    total .CFG for CorelDraw and CorelTrace, one for ExpressPCB, 2 for a
    virtual HP PostScript printer, one for my KL-8100 label printer, a group
    of them for an HP video driver, one for ViewMate, one for Acrobat 4.0
    capture, SAM.CFG for M$ speech engine, another group of .CFG for
    CorelDraw, 3 for DOS utilities, and 2 in \WINNT\System32 (midimap.cfg,
    $WinMgmt.CFG).

    In my \system32\Macromed\Flash folder, there are 2 .LOG files, one
    ..XPT file (binary), one EXE file,and one .DLL file; period.
    BUT..the install.log file, near the bottom (463 lines) does have
    something interesting:
    ** QUOTE **
    Start Post Section
    WriteRegStr: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin"
    "Path"="G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash"
    DeleteRegKey:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\MozillaPlugins\@macromedia.com/FlashPlayer8"
    DeleteRegKey:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\MozillaPlugins\@macromedia.com/FlashPlayer9"
    DeleteRegKey:
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins\@macromedia.com/FlashPlayer8"
    DeleteRegKey:
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins\@macromedia.com/FlashPlayer9"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer"
    "Path"="G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer"
    "XPTPath"="G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\flashplayer.xpt"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer"
    "ProductName"="Adobe® Flash® Player Plugin"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer"
    "Vendor"="Adobe Systems Incorporated"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer"
    "Description"="Adobe® Flash® Player 9"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer"
    "Version"="9.0.124.0"
    created uninstaller: 5752,
    "G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\uninstall_plugin.exe"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Flash Player Plugin" "DisplayName"="Adobe Flash Player Plugin"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Flash Player Plugin" "DisplayVersion"="9.0.124.0"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Flash Player Plugin" "Publisher"="Adobe Systems Incorporated"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Flash Player Plugin" "URLInfoAbout"="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer"
    Call: 1639
    File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0,
    name="G:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\nstB.tmp\System.dll"
    File: skipped: "G:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\nstB.tmp\System.dll"
    (overwriteflag=1)
    Call: 1639
    File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0,
    name="G:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\nstB.tmp\System.dll"
    File: skipped: "G:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\nstB.tmp\System.dll"
    (overwriteflag=1)
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Flash Player Plugin"
    "DisplayIcon"="G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\uninstall_plugin.exe"
    WriteRegStr:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Flash Player Plugin"
    "UninstallString"="G:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\uninstall_plugin.exe"
    WriteRegDWORD:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Flash Player Plugin" "NoModify"="0x00000001"
    WriteRegDWORD:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Flash Player Plugin" "NoRepair"="0x00000001"
    WriteRegStr: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\FlashPlayer"
    "FlashPlayerVersion"="9.0.124.0"
    End Post Section
    ** END QUOTE **

    HOWSOMEVER, i see nothing there indicating that popup tickle.

    Any other ideas?

    Robert Baer, Mar 10, 2013
  6. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    I have that version, stored on disk here (the installer).

    Look for FlashUtil9c.exe , as that could be the Updater.

    If you dissect the .msi, there is a Data1.cab, and inside the cab are two
    files. One file is the plugin, such as Flash9c.ocx (you want to keep
    that one). The other one, FlashUtil9c.exe, is the one with the
    unknown function.

    A suggestion here, is that Flash doesn't depend on that program,
    so if something happened to FlashUtil9c.exe, the plugin
    would still work. Maybe you could rename the file slightly, and
    see what happens. Or, use Autoruns from sysinternals.com and
    see if that file shows up as a Startup item of some sort.

    http://www.sevenforums.com/software/11526-disable-adobe-flash-update-utility.html

    In the installer here, the interesting bits are

    FlashUtil9c.exe
    52442A12_0334_40E2_BC90_E3BE2AD2E349

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 10, 2013
  7. Stupid question, but why not just update the Flash Player? Why would you
    want an old version when they give you a new version for free, and some
    Flash content reaquires the latest player.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 11, 2013
  8. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    * No .MSI or .CAB in that folder; i renamed the .EXE to
    FlashUtil10l_Plugin.XEXexe to disable it.
    * sysinternals not found.
    I have RegCleaner ver 4.3 and it is showing that there is a (new)
    flash player update from Macromedia; no date tags on anything.
    * Well, maybe there is hope; the re-naming i did on a similar file as
    noted above may do the trick.
    Thanks.

    Robert Baer, Mar 12, 2013
  9. Robert Baer

    alceryes Guest

    You can access Adobe Flash settings from here -
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html#117118
    They appear in your browser. The one you are looking for is 'Global
    Notifications Settings panel'.

    Every once in a while, on boot-up, i get this unwanted, undesirable

    alceryes, Mar 18, 2013
  10. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer, Mar 18, 2013
  11. Robert Baer

    Daniel47 Guest

    Robert, I use SeaMonkey as well and see Shockwave Flash listed under
    Tools->Add-on Manager->Plug-ins, so you might see your Adobe Flash there
    as well (or are they now effectively the same thing??)

    If it is there, you can disable it there, and then, I think, you can
    remove it (if you really want to) via the Windows Add/Remove Programs
    function in the control panel.

    HTH

    Daniel

    Daniel47, Mar 18, 2013
  12. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    So far, NO nags!

    Robert Baer, Apr 16, 2013
  13. Robert Baer

    dcardarelli Guest

    That's a good question. I know that when I have updated some programs in the past, I sometimes get something or other that either don't work well or conflicts with something else on my system.

    I try to be selective in doing updates.

    Dave

    dcardarelli, Apr 23, 2013