How much Router do you need to have it act as an External NIC?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by TBerk, Oct 17, 2008.

  1. TBerk

    TBerk Guest

    (If it can be done at all.)

    I keep seeing ref to AP as in Access Point, but I think I'm talking
    something else.

    What I'm wondering about is a setup where a standalone system with a
    built in 10/100baseT interface plugged into an external 80211g wireless
    router which in turn connects to another wireless router which is in
    turn on the Internet via a DSL Modem.

    Computer(nic)--WifiRouter1 <--> WifiRouter2--Modem--Internet

    This is different than having a computer on the Internet adn plugging a
    wireless Router into it, allowing farther out wireless systems to
    connect through that PC.

    Instead it's using a combination 10/100bT-wifi router combo instead of a
    wifi PCI NIC.

    TBerk

    TBerk, Oct 17, 2008

  2. TBerk

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what brands and models are the 2 routers? the key is can #1 act as
    an "access point client"? or you could buy a wireless gaming
    adapter.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP