how much is it worth?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Puddle, Oct 11, 2007.

  1. Puddle

    Puddle Guest

    Hi,

    Got handed a 1u server and am debating on selling it as it isn't much
    use to me and would rather put it towards a nice desktop. I am curious
    as to how much it might be worth if anyone has any experience in this
    area before I debate putting it on trademe.

    Anyway...
    A supermicro superserver 6013p-8
    2 * xeon @ 2.4ghz
    2 gigs ECC DDR 266 memory

    3*36 scsi u320 drives
    Adaptec SCSI RAID card 2200S
    2 gigabit lan connectors
    2 usb
    CD drive & floppy drive,
    2 ide channels

    Comes with full manuals and rack kit

    Thanks

    Puddle, Oct 11, 2007

  2. Puddle

    RL Guest

    1U rackmound gear is expensive new, but it doesn't attract a partiularly
    high resale value. Large companies don't want it because they want new
    hardware and current support plans. Individuals don't want it because
    the price is high compared to a similarly-spec'd used box, and there is
    less room for expansion. The price of new dual core systems is low as
    well. The only people who really do want it are people with racks.

    I have a similar system I assembled from new components for under $1,000
    (mainly imported suprlus components). The only significant difference is
    that I'm using a larger case (5U), with less drives. At a guess, I would
    say you could probably get $5-600 on TradeMe.

    RL

    RL, Oct 11, 2007

  3. Puddle

    thingy Guest

    Most people who buy servers want a warranted box....as it would have
    production data on it, so a play thing for some keen sod....though it
    has virtually no disk space....

    Hard to quantify, I would guess looking at Trademe would give an
    indication....to me a few hundreds....these days a basic mboard with 2
    gig of ram and some 300 gig drives would do as well or better.....

    $120 for ram
    $300 for disks
    $120 for m/board
    $120 for dual cpu
    $100 case incl psu

    So $760 for a new setup....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 11, 2007
  4. Puddle

    Alan Guest

    My take (similar to the other posts):

    Business - No go as there is no warranty

    Home User (Geek at home) - Wouldn't pay much - maybe a few hundred
    bucks?

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Oct 11, 2007
  5. Puddle

    Puddle Guest

    Well seems it isn't worth much, probably why it was given to me :)

    Puddle, Oct 11, 2007
  6. Puddle

    RL Guest

    If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands for what you paid for
    it, plus postage :)

    RL

    RL, Oct 11, 2007
  7. Puddle

    Richard Guest

    Not to mention the 8-10 hairdryer fans that 1u servers have in them,
    wouldnt want them in a house.

    Only reason to ever go 1u is when you are paying per U to host it.

    Richard, Oct 11, 2007
  8. Puddle

    Puddle Guest

    8-10? maybe you haven't seen a 1u server for a while.. This one has 2...
    or is 8-10 a type of fan? :)
    Yes it saves money and there seems to be plenty of demand for 1u servers
    out there :)

    Puddle, Oct 12, 2007
  9. Puddle

    Richard Guest

    No, its the quantity, you cant have tall fans so you have to have ones
    that are about 50mm deep and spin at some horiffic speed. 2 on each
    heatsink, 2 on the PSU and a row of them infront of the drives is the
    norm, all blowing towards the back, the draught out of the back when it
    spins them all full on powerup is more then a 20cm deskfan. and it would
    be over 80dB I would think.

    Richard, Oct 14, 2007
  10. I deal with them on a regular basis. Yes, they have a lot of fans, and there
    are commonly empty spots to add more.

    A client of mine has two HP ProLiant DL380 G5 servers. They make this really
    irritating high-pitched whining noise when they're running normally. Not
    something you want in a corner of your bedroom...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2007