    Trying to make the decision between S2 and D100, if I could only
    combine features for the perfect camera.

    Andy

    Andy, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Well, you know, I don't have a D100, so I don't really know what the
    tradeoffs are. When I made the decision, the noise level differences
    in high-ISO / low-light situations were the dominant factor, and I've
    used the S2 a lot in that kind of situations, so I think I probably
    made the right decision for me.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Andy

    dperez Guest

    Being new to the S2 Pro if I may piggyback on this discussion...

    What format/size/quality are people using in this camera? I've been shooting
    RAW at the highest settings, which creates about a 12.9 MB file for each image.
    BUT, when I run them through the converter, the TIFF files are around 70MB each.
    Photoshop doesn't have any problem handling them on my main machine, but what
    are other folks doing as far as image size and conversion?

    BTW: One of the deciding factors for me was the quality of the images captured
    by the S2. Having done a bit of shooting and some editing I'm really pleased
    even though the converted files are so large...

    dperez, Aug 27, 2003
  4. I was suspicious that it was an artificial requirement in some way
    like that, which made me even more annoyed. If you do find your notes
    *please* pass them on! (Unfortunately the obvious google groups
    search turns up zero hits).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 27, 2003
  5. try printing a fine jpg at 6 mp. file will be about 2.5 mb.

    12x18 prints are spectacular.

    Bob Crownfield, Aug 28, 2003
  6. Andy

    Tom Nelson Guest

    Here it is:
    After installing FinePix Viewer you insert the Hyper-Utilities CD,
    cancel the auto installation wizard (which won't work anyway in Win98)
    then go to the RAFCNV directory. Just click on the setup.exe and Raw
    File Converter EX loads.
    originally posted by: Michael OHara/Wet Planet/Maui

    Tom Nelson
    Tom Nelson Photography

    Tom Nelson, Aug 28, 2003
  7. Thank you *very* much!

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 28, 2003
  8. Andy

    dperez Guest

    Well, I've once again PROVEN I'm the king of stupid human tricks! Over in the
    RV newsgroup I'm one of the people that's periodically doing incredibly dumb
    things with our trailer... In here, I've managed to continue the string:

    The new S2 is now about 12 days old. AND I've had a couple weekends of
    wandering around the woods and meadows of Minnesota, shooting SEVERAL hundred
    images. Of course, this time of year those woods and meadows are chock FULL of
    pollen, dust, those little flying white fluffy things, and every other sort of
    clogging crap... Yup, you guessed it... I THINK I've managed to get some kind
    of smutch on the CCD........

    At high resolution like RAW or high res JPEG there are several spots on the
    image that are most visible in sky, or in slightly underexposed white or gray
    surfaces (I tested by shooting the overcast today). They appear to be round and
    look darker than the surrounding surface. Tried a couple different lenses just
    to be sure. The spots aren't as visible on low res like 1440X960 but they are
    still there...

    I VERY gingerly took a blower and attempted to get the invisible stuff off, but
    no go. So, I checked out the recommended cleaner, and was prepared to order the
    $50 swabs and $8 Eclipse liquid...

    Called Fuji and they recommended returning the camera to them for them to check.
    They THINK its probably cleanable, but it COULD possibly be a bad CCD. The
    repair folks I talked to assured me that they'll get it back to me in a maximum
    of 10 days so I'll shoot it off to them on Tuesday and we'll see what happens...

    This is what I get for crawling around and changing lenses in the dirt! Good
    grief!

    dperez, Aug 29, 2003