    Utilities related: 7
    Games: 5
    Graphics/Video: 8

    Toolman Tim, Jun 13, 2006

  2. M

    M Guest

    Thanks ToolMan

    M, Jun 13, 2006

  3. M

    thanatoid Guest

    Toolman, don't be a tool.

    thanatoid, Jun 13, 2006
  4. M

    thanatoid Guest

    I share your pain. I hardly ever get a reply in any of the "help
    groups". Usually just abuse. Just wait till you see the flaming
    I get after people read this post/reply.

    Anyway, here's my setup. (I tend to ramble a bit, sorry.)

    First of all, the "bar" is on the left, vertically. The bottom
    position is idiotic. This way all I see is icons without the
    lengthy explanation M$ considers necessary to inflict upon the
    users, as if all the rest (like their "file manager") weren't
    enough.

    I have 34 icons on the desktop, scattered by "type of program",
    most of which are not duplicated in the start menu since I use
    them almost all the time.

    For instance I have Thumbs+ and Micrografx Picture Publisher
    next to each other; Total Commander, WinRAR, InCtrl, Rename It
    and Restoration in one line; OffBy1, Opera, Xnews, NetStats in
    another. Etc.

    Here is a directory printout of the stuff in the start menu.
    The (...) indicates several obvious items removed to make this
    shorter.

    There are 9 items in the basic start menu, one of them being
    just a "reposition icons correctly" link, so it really doesn't
    count.

    Then there's programs which has 10 subdirs, and 5 more-or-less
    often used programs at the bottom. Two are screen magnifiers
    which I really should remove since I can't remember when I last
    used one. I used ruler just the other day and I use calc and
    charmap all the time.

    As you will see, most of the 10 dirs in Programs have
    subdirectories, some of which I almost never go into, but just
    in case.

    I believe in subdirectories and partitions. So kill me.

    Also, I am running Win 95B but I don't think that is really
    relevant to your question. Still, something for the friendly
    folk in this group to attack me for.

    My other machine, while only about 2 or 3 years old, runs
    98SELite and has virtually the same setup. No XP for me, thanks.

    Since I now have that 2nd computer I should remove the
    dBPowerAmp converter and other mp3-wav related stuff since that
    has been relegated entirely to the new machine, but I just
    haven't gotten around to it.

    As you will probably notice, I haven't counted anything, because
    unlike most of the people who responded (or not), I do not have
    150 programs in the top level of the start menu. You can count
    all the subdirs etc. if you care to. (Doing this took enough
    time and I'm not crazy about counting.)

    Directory of: C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\*.*
    06/13/2006 2:18am Sorted by Long Name Levels: All

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu
    ACDsee.lnk
    Commander.lnk
    Hounder.lnk
    Icons.lnk
    Oter.lnk
    Prodigy.lnk
    Toggler.lnk
    Treepad.lnk
    Writer.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs
    Calculator.lnk
    Character Map.lnk
    Fatbits.lnk
    Loupe.lnk
    Ruler.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\_Catfish
    _CDR mp3.lnk
    CDR current.lnk
    CDR lib-soft.lnk
    CDR magazines.lnk
    CDR recovery txt.lnk
    CDR system green.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\_pix
    _SnagIt big.lnk
    _SnagIt small.lnk
    Logomania.lnk
    UniqueFiler.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\_pix\3D
    StereoCreator.lnk
    Stereograms.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\_pix\cur-ico
    _IconJack.lnk
    Aniedit.lnk
    Axialis Icons.lnk
    cursordance.lnk
    ICG Editor.lnk
    Imagedit.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\_pix\paint
    Characterizer.lnk
    i.Mage.lnk
    Matisse.lnk
    Painter.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\_pub
    _FXplorerLite.lnk
    _PageMaker 6.5.lnk
    Acrobat Distiller 3.0.lnk
    Dictionary Editor.lnk
    Table Editor.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\_txt
    _metapad.lnk
    edxor.lnk
    Text Extractor.LNK
    Text Monkey PRO.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\CD programs
    _CDRWIN.lnk
    CDCheck.lnk
    CDEx.lnk
    dMC Configuration.lnk
    EAC.lnk
    GoldWave.lnk
    mp3Trim.lnk

    7 files; 2,725 bytes

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\CD programs\dBpowerAMP Music
    Converter
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\CD programs\dBpowerAMP Music
    Converter\Help\Codecs
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Internet
    D4.lnk
    Prospector.LNK
    WS-FTP.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Internet\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall
    1.0
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Internet\Security
    Ad-aware 6.lnk
    InoculateIT Personal Edition.lnk
    NetstatViewer.lnk
    Spybot - Search & Destroy (default).lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Internet\Security\TrojanHunter
    LiveUpdate.lnk
    TrojanHunter Guard.lnk
    TrojanHunter Scanner.lnk
    TrojanHunter Web Page.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Internet\Utils
    Bookmark Wizard.lnk
    CountryCodes.lnk
    IDServer.lnk
    IP 2 country.lnk
    x Dial-Up Networking.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    Clock.lnk
    c-program files-filemap by bb v302-bootalert.LNK
    MakeUp.lnk
    Re-co.lnk
    ShortKeys.lnk
    SSSwitch.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System
    _RAMpage config.lnk
    Key Mouse Genie.LNK
    Resource Meter.lnk
    System Monitor.lnk
    winimage.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities
    MemString.lnk
    ProcessViewer.lnk
    WindowList.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\Adobe Acrobat
    4.0
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\codecs\AVIcodec
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\codecs\Cole2k
    Media - Codec Pack
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\Desktop
    DisplaySet.lnk
    TestScreens.lnk
    Wallpaper.lnk
    WinLogos.lnk
    WinTidy.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\EasyRecovery
    Professional Edition
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\HP LaserJet 6L
    PCL Printer
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\Matrox
    PowerDesk
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\Multimedia
    CD Player.lnk
    dx-diag.lnk
    Sound Recorder.lnk
    Volume Control.lnk
    Volume.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start
    Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\Multimedia\RealPlayer
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\Partition
    Commander
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\PowerChute plus
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\_Utilities\Sound Blaster
    AWE64
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\FileMap by BB ver 3.0.2
    (...)

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\Registry
    Advanced Registry Optimizer.lnk
    JVRegCleaner.lnk
    RegClean.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\System\WinAccessories
    MS Word Viewer.lnk
    Notepad.lnk
    Paint.lnk
    WordPad.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Tweak
    _Disk Defragmenter.lnk
    _Scandisk.lnk
    Crackup.lnk
    Resource Tuner.lnk
    Start Up Changer 2000.lnk

    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Wallpaper Changer
    (...)

    thanatoid, Jun 13, 2006
  5. M

    dadiOH Guest

    In that case, you should have asked how many *programs* people have
    installed, not how many folders...the number of folders on the Start|Program
    menu doesn't necessarily have a bearing on the number of programs because
    people do catagorize things with folders. I have 15 folders there but 180
    programs. Installed programs...there are also some no-installs.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jun 13, 2006
  6. M

    why? Guest

    Ah well usually 18-20 except 1 PC with large icons that's 15.
    Me

    why?, Jun 13, 2006
  7. M

    M Guest

    If I had asked how many programs people had, they would have had
    to count each item in each folder. I didn't care about that much detail.
    Most people are not as organized as you are with programs in groups
    so what I got from most people was good enough. 180 programs, huh.
    Wow. Thanks for your reply.

    M, Jun 14, 2006
  8. M

    M Guest

    No problem.
    I keep my desktop as clean (absolute minimum number
    of icons) as possible. I do catagorize some of my programs so
    the Start menu works for me.
    Nothing wrong with organization.
    You know you'll get one!
    It's not that bad.
    I don't mind counting. Thank you for your thoroughness.

    M, Jun 14, 2006
  9. M

    M Guest

    Thank you.

    M, Jun 14, 2006
  10. M

    thanatoid Guest

    34 sounds like an awful lot, even in 800x600 (let the flaming
    begin!!!) but it's very few actually. It looks more like 15,
    with most of the space free. Plus I have a toggler to remove all
    the icons if I just want to see the wallpaper.
    In case you were wondering, Oter stands for Noter, or
    "PasteBoard" from http://www.cybia.co.uk. (I had something else
    starting with N, or a shortcut conflict. Can't remember.)

    It's a GREAT little 10-tab note keeper. The tabs are numbered 1-
    10 but I made bitmaps describing them according to content -
    music, system, URL's, quotes, to do, etc.

    Darn, I just checked the site and the new version now has a
    rename tabs feature! Oh well... Great site, BTW. Lots of very
    cool stuff.

    I know you didn't ask for it, but here's a list of my desktop
    icons...
    It's alphabetical, but as I mentioned previously, that's not how
    they are arranged.

    Now I'll leave you alone, I promise. Unless you want a dekstop
    screenshot %-}

    Filename Size Modified
    -------------- ---- ----------------
    allmove 967 6/12/06 7:59 PM
    Cdrwin 402 4/30/06 12:54 AM
    Commander 423 4/15/06 1:15 PM
    defrag 280 4/15/06 1:44 PM
    EndItAll 399 5/25/06 11:51 PM
    FileMap 473 4/15/06 1:51 PM
    FontXplorer 470 5/24/06 4:48 PM
    FoxReader 349 4/30/06 5:52 PM
    inctrl4 389 4/15/06 1:25 PM
    Logos 378 3/25/04 1:59 PM
    metapad 325 5/3/06 12:03 AM
    Net Stats 343 4/30/06 1:53 AM
    nPOP 319 4/30/06 12:20 PM
    OffByOne 350 4/30/06 12:25 PM
    Opera 400 4/30/06 1:49 AM
    PieSizer 387 2/8/05 2:34 AM
    Pm6.52 386 4/30/06 2:19 PM
    Pp7 471 5/8/06 5:13 PM
    RealPlayer 401 11/2/04 10:05 PM
    Rname-it 377 3/24/04 1:56 PM
    Stp 337 5/1/06 1:00 AM
    TaskInfo 500 4/30/06 12:40 AM
    ThumbsPlus 414 5/30/06 12:42 PM
    transparence 399 6/7/06 11:06 AM
    TrueImage 568 4/15/06 1:41 PM
    undelete 423 5/3/06 2:01 AM
    urlOrganizer 369 5/8/06 1:10 PM
    Walls 395 5/23/06 11:27 PM
    Webster's 367 5/1/06 5:36 PM
    WinRAR 388 5/16/06 7:06 PM
    Word Web 417 4/30/06 1:20 PM
    Xnews 360 4/30/06 1:53 AM

    thanatoid, Jun 14, 2006
  11. M

    M Guest

    Thank you for your throughness. The list was not required but is
    appreciated.
    And no, I don't want a screenshot.

    Mike

    M, Jun 14, 2006
  12. M

    Lookout Guest

    I edit mine as I go along. No reason to have them there when I have an
    icon in a folder. If I really need access I can always go to the
    program itself....which very rarely happens. I have 3 groups at the
    top of the list which holds about 30 icons for my most used programs.

    Lookout, Jun 15, 2006