How many pix/camera do you take?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Jacoubowsky, Jul 1, 2007.

  1. I'm wondering if most people don't take all that many photos with their
    cameras. Reason I bring this up is because of a problem I had recently with
    my Fuji F30.

    A few days ago, I noticed it acting a bit oddly... the display that shows
    you how many photos are left on your card, with different #s for different
    resolutions... the numbers were all the same. No difference between
    remaining shots at full res vs VGA.

    And then, when it got to zero... <<poof>> no workie. Message saying "! CARD
    NO. FULL" or something like that. Tried to reformat the card, no joy.
    Updated the firmware, still no joy. Did a Google search and yet again, no
    joy. Until I narrowed the search down to the most-unlikely of places... the
    camera's manual. Who have thought? Turns out that, once you hit 9999 photos,
    it locks up until you go into the menu and find an obscure option named
    "renew" which forces it to start over again from zero.

    Given that I couldn't easily find references to this problem, makes me
    wonder just how many photos as active photographer (amateur) takes with a
    given camera. Apparently, it's not 10,000.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Jul 1, 2007

  2. Mike Jacoubowsky

    l v Guest

    I am currently around 7500 saved photos, 9910 taken so far with my Canon
    300d. My brother who uses a Canon P&S has taken well of 10,000 images.

    l v, Jul 1, 2007

  3. Mike Jacoubowsky

    ASAAR Guest

    Well, I don't think one can assume that all cameras will be like
    the F30 and not roll over when the shot count reaches 9999. It's a
    useful feature though, in that you'll be well aware that the next
    shot you're able to take will start reusing image numbers. :)

    I've mentioned a number of times in other threads that I think
    that the typical P&S photographer that just gets 4x6 prints made at
    local labs and kiosks, only shoots several hundred shots/year. Some
    shoot more, but I know a lot of people that only use their cameras a
    couple of times each year. Several people relating how pleased they
    were with their camera's ability to take large numbers of shots
    using alkaline batteries (often the Canon A6x0 series) told how even
    after 3 to 6 months of use, they were still on their first set of
    alkaline AAs. That doesn't indicate a high yearly shot count.

    ASAAR, Jul 1, 2007
  4. Mike Jacoubowsky

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have taken only about 2000 pictures with mine (3 years), so reaching
    10,000 would take me about 15 years. Still, that is MUCH more than I
    would have taken with a film camera. Film and printing costs for that
    many pictures would have been more than I could afford to spend on
    photography. I suspect most people tend to take about as many pictures
    as I do.
    Of course, professionals might well turn out that many shots in a week....

    Ron Hunter, Jul 1, 2007
  5. Mike,

    I think that all the cameras I've had roll over at 9999 back to 0000 (or
    0001?). Many use a separate directory for each 100-200 pictures. As for
    me, these are the digital pictures I have kept as "final" versions - so
    that's after any technically or artistically bad pictures or duplicates
    are removed - are as follows:

    1998 - 838 pictures (Nikon 900)
    1999 - 1531
    2000 - 578
    2001 - 1957
    2002 - 1632
    2003 - 3870
    2004 - 3645
    2005 - 2930
    2006 - 3847
    2007 - 1998

    In that time, I've bought seven digital cameras (eight if you include the
    Minolta I sent back, nine if you include my wife's cameras). Who said it
    cost you nothing!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 1, 2007
  6. Mike Jacoubowsky

    g n p Guest

    I'm pushing 10000 pix total, from five consecutive cameras.
    The latest one (D80) is so capable and a joy to use that I'm at 2000 pix in
    some months.

    g n p, Jul 1, 2007
  7. Mike Jacoubowsky

    Bill Guest

    I've shot about 4100 pictures in a little over a year with a Canon
    30D, so it looks like I have better than a year before I have to worry
    about it. <g>

    Bill

    Bill, Jul 1, 2007
  8. Mike Jacoubowsky

    Fred Martin Guest

    I have taken 13835 pictures with my Nikon 990 and at 9999 it just rolled
    over to 0001 again.
    .....Fred

    Fred Martin, Jul 1, 2007
  9. We find we take far more pixs on digicams than we did with film. Even
    so, last time my wife took a film camera on a foreign trip, she took
    20 rolls of film.

    We have had our D50 for less than three years, have shot between
    2500-3000 exposures. We also have a digital P&S, a Canon 530. Since
    it is a backup for when both of us are shooting together, and it is
    not convenient to switch. We had that camera for less than two years,
    and have only taken about 500 or so.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Jul 1, 2007
  10. I think that all the cameras I've had roll over at 9999 back to 0000 (or
    We have remarkably-similar patterns and purchases, although my numbers are
    generally higher (my motto? When in doubt, take a photo!).

    I do feel better about the number of camera purchases though; probably
    averages out to one every 18 months or so. It's obvious that you and I do
    put them to good use!

    As for rolling over, all of my Olympus cameras did so, as far as I know.
    Just the Fuji that doesn't. Probably the same on my F10 as well, but didn't
    get that one up to 10k before getting the F30.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Jul 1, 2007
  11. We find we take far more pixs on digicams than we did with film. Even
    Makes you wonder about shutter life, doesn't it? The numbers given by the
    manufacturers aren't that high, yet rarely do we read about cameras with
    failed shutters. Overall, the mechanics of the cameras seem pretty sound.
    Too bad we don't see better glass used for otherwise-wonderful point &
    shoots like the F30 etc. Best piece of glass on a P&S that I've owned have
    been on the Oly 3000 and Oly 5050. Pretty much sharp as a tack no matter
    what, no purple fringing. Yikes. I'm going off-topic on my own thread!

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Jul 1, 2007
  12. Mike Jacoubowsky

    l v Guest

    I reset my image number in the camera to 0001 each year leaving room for
    9998/year. While downloading the images from the camera, I renumber
    the file name from IMG_0001 to 2007_0001 where the current year comes
    from the exif date. Still a nice safe guard to stop after hitting image
    number 9999.

    l v, Jul 1, 2007
  13. Mike Jacoubowsky

    Scott W Guest

    I have shot a bit over 38,000 photos with my 350D in about 18 months.
    I am not sure with my older Sony F828 but somewhere around 50,000-60,000
    shots on it.
    My older yet Nikon had somewhere in the area of 20,000 photos on it.
    All my cameras automatically reset to 0 when going past 9999, which is a
    pain.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jul 2, 2007
  14. Yes, that is a pathetic piece of design. My two cameras have used
    PICTnnnn and IMG_nnnn for the file names - why on earth couldn't they
    have used PICnnnnn and IMGnnnnn or something similar. (And do we really
    still need to use 8.3 file names in 2007? They were designed back in the
    days when one had about 128 Kilobytes of disk storage.)

    Stephen Poley, Jul 3, 2007
  15. Mike Jacoubowsky

    Ryan Guest

    With my point and shoot camera, which would fall in the amateur use, it
    is just about to exceed 20,000 images since December 2003.

    With my SLR camera, which is less than pro, but more than amateur, it
    has rolled over a few times (now almost 30,000 images) since May 2004.

    It would be higher with the SLR, but has slowed in recent years due to
    hard drive space shortages.

    Here are some statistical averages:

    Point-and-shoot
    15 media per day up to 20,000

    SLR Camera
    44 images per day for 1st 10,000
    35 images per day for 2nd 10,000
    14 images per day for 3rd 10,000

    The archive is 83GB in size. Some camera raw files have been purged
    with the originals left on disc (expendable data) and the processed JPGs
    on hard disk (10/12 quality setting, occasional PNG or TIFF). The
    cumulative average image size is 1.6MG with an estimated typical size of
    1.2MB.

    Ryan, Jul 15, 2007