    and you make 500 shots per week".....

    That seems like a lot of shots for the "casual" user.

    How many shots do you take in a given week?

    Lee K, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Lee K

    YoYo Guest

    When I used 35mm film I shot 2 rolls a week

    Now with digital I shoot 20 rolls a month (400 - 500 pics)

    YoYo, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Lee K

    Colm Guest

    Average about 190-200

    Colm, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Lee K

    Thomas Guest

    In another thread, the poster used the phrase "if you're an occasional
    user
    On an everyday week, usually shoot around 1 roll of 36 a week. But with
    special occaisions, or if im working on a project make that more like 10 -
    20 rolls.

    Thomas, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Lee K

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I took 190 shots of various wild marsh birds just yesterday.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Lee K

    Drifter Guest

    somewhere between 80-190

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Jul 5, 2004
  7. Lee K

    Frank ess Guest

    couple-three hundred.

    I had to check.

    I was surprised.

    But I don't regret a single one.

    Frank ess, Jul 5, 2004
  8. Lee K

    Gary Guest

    I took about 200 on July 1st

    Gary, Jul 5, 2004
  9. Lee K

    Mike Guest

    I'm currently off work with a new D70, so about 300 a day when the suns
    out!! :)

    Mike

    Mike, Jul 5, 2004
  10. Lee K

    Zebedee Guest

    Well, today I took 85 photos.

    I can take up to 150 in a day.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jul 5, 2004
  11. Hi "Lee K,"

    I don't photograph using a digital camera, preferring film instead. Because
    of that, I don't usually post to the digital NG. But I couldn't resist this
    particular question since my "shots per week" experience is so different.

    When participating in the rpe35mm SI, I usually bulk load 12 film frames for
    each 2-week exercise. I rarely use - or need - them all. Often I seem to
    get what I'm looking for in 6-9 exposures, sometimes less. I think my
    lowest count to date was 4 exposures. (In fairness, my highest was 24 for
    the current "Friday Night" mandate as I was bracketing, using up to
    555-second reciprocity-corrected exposure times with only moonlight for
    illumination.)

    Bear in mind that I'm not *trying* to economize. There is no need, as the
    film cost per exposure is only about 3+ cents (US) per frame. It's just
    that I spend a fair amount of time in advance thinking about what I want to
    say and how I want to say it. Once this has been determined - and it is by
    far the most difficult part of making a photograph - I then pick up the
    camera and work until the image I envisioned, or as close as I can get to
    it, is on the film.

    For the life of me, I can't imagine what type of subject matter or
    expression could cause a normal "casual user" to feel compelled to release a
    shutter on any camera 500 (or more) times each week, presumably week after
    week after week...

    Ken

    Ken Nadvornick, Jul 5, 2004
  12. Lee K

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    I just rolled over the 30,000 mark on my 10D this weekend. I've had the
    camera for 57 weeks, so that's an average of 30000/57 = 526/wk.

    JPS, Jul 5, 2004
  13. Lee K

    Bob Hatch Guest

    During the period July thru Oct, around 360 or so per day. While on vacation
    maybe only 30 to 50 per day average. Some weeks only 20 or 30.

    Probably average around 30,000 or so images per year, all subjects combined.

    Bob Hatch, Jul 5, 2004
  14. Lee K

    bagal Guest

    do the lyrics run along the lines of
    so what so what?

    I won't repeat the rest :)

    no harm meant of intended it was just the choice of i've been here i've been
    there

    dah da-da-da-da-dah

    dB

    bagal, Jul 5, 2004
  15. Lee K

    Big Bill Guest

    I see this a lot.
    You don't nderstand why others do what you do, differently?
    Think outside yourself for a while. Maybe insted of just saying, "I
    don't understand it", you could *try* to understand it.
    Photography is not just abot getting what you see in your mind on film
    (or sensor). For many, it's about getting what's *there* on film (or
    sensor).
    While your particular vision may be just one part of what's in front
    of you (and there's certainly nothing wrong with that, don't get me
    wrong), others want to get what's there, and that often takes more
    than a few shots.
    For example, I can go to a museum with some friends; we all shoot
    digitally. One is an "artiste", and uses hos camera to get just those
    shots that 'come to him'. He'll shoot maybe 10 shots in a day.
    Another will take one shot of just about each thing there; he can take
    up to 150 or sho shots.
    I will shoot several pics of everything there; that's what I do. Each
    shot is different.
    Just as an example, we went to an airplane museum; I shot several
    hundred pics, taking shots from different angles, to show the
    different charasteristics of the planes. The "artiste" shot about 70
    pics that day, and none looked like mine.
    Different strokes for different folks.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jul 6, 2004
  16. Lee K

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Been averaging 71 shots a week since I bought my latest digital camera.
    Of course, one of those weeks was spent on an Alaskan Cruise, and that
    did skew the average a bit.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 6, 2004
  17. Lee K

    Drifter Guest

    actually...
    http://www.historicomaha.com/omahasng.htm

    Not that I'm from Omaha but I always liked the tune.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Jul 6, 2004
  18. I'd classify myself as a moderately-crazed amateur. My shooting rate
    varies quite widely from week to week depending on motivation level
    and what I'm doing (what shots fall in front of me without special
    effort).

    On my digital equipment, I've shot 215 a month over the last 4 years
    and a bit. (Note "month", not week). My film use during that period
    has been *way* down, to the point in the late parts of hardly being
    worth figuring -- probably fewer than 50 rolls in the entire 4+
    years. Adding a SWAG of 30 rolls to the total, about 236 shots a
    month.

    (The count from the digital work, in my case, actually means about the
    same thing as the count from film. My deleting is very light, and
    almost nothing but technical errors. On film I often shot *more*
    since I couldn't verify that I'd gotten lucky while the subject was
    still in front of me.)

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 6, 2004
  19. Lee K

    stan Guest

    I am not a professional photographer by any means. For me, it depends on
    the week. If its a week when I am on vacation, I can shoot two or three
    thousand photos with my Digtal Rebel. If its a week where I just get up
    and go to work, then come home every day, I might not shoot any photos.
    This past weekend, since it was the July 4th holiday, I probably shout
    around 800 images.

    stan, Jul 6, 2004
  20. :

    Hi Bill,
    I'm glad to read this, Bill, as it confirms to me that I'm not the only
    person out there seeking to understand this phenomenon.
    Precisely so, regarding this particular topic. That's why I'm asking. When
    I find that I don't understand something I encounter in the world, I always
    ask those who do understand to please explain it to me. It's how I learn.
    I am trying, Bill. That's why I'm asking. I didn't say, "I *refuse* to
    understand it." It's quite possible that given an explanation, I may find
    that another's approach to the same or similar problems as mine may indeed
    be superior to my approach. It also may not. But in either case, the only
    stupid question is, of course, the unasked one.
    Now this sort of explanation is exactly what I seek. My approach is to
    explore a potential subject, be it real or abstract, mentally *before* I
    pick up the camera. This behavior likely originated - and not
    surprisingly - with use of my 4x5 field camera, where making a photograph is
    not a trivial exercise. (Not overly difficult, mind you, just not something
    one does without a bit of preparation.) Your above described approach is an
    entirely different type of solution.
    Again, two different solutions to the same problem, both of which differ
    from my own - and another possible opportunity to learn. But, also again,
    not unless one is allowed to express one's non-understanding of those
    approaches and ask those who do understand them for an explanation.
    Even more facinating to me, as I have also done so at the Boeing Museum of
    Flight in Seattle, Washington. They also, as one might imagine, have an
    impressive collection of historic aircraft. What facinates me is that my
    approach was so markedly different. Not better, just different.

    I walked in to a largely deserted display hanger and promptly sat down to
    think for a bit. I wanted to get a "feel" for the history represented by
    the magnificent craft I saw before my eyes. I wanted to imagine the combat
    pilots tucked into those unbelievably tight cockpits of the WWII fighters.
    What did they think? How did *they* feel? How did their sacrifices change
    the world? And change my world? And the world as it will be for my son?
    This is what I meant when I wrote, "thinking about what I want to say and
    how I want to say it." I find it to be the most meaningful step in the
    making of a photograph - even one intended simply to record an object.
    After an appropriate amount of time, I then picked up my camera. Did this
    small amount of personal "preparation" make the photos any better? Dunno.
    But I'd like to think (hope) so.

    My goal here now is to understand if the techniques represented by the
    quantities of images made per week as mentioned in this thread may, in fact,
    be a *better* way for me to approach those photographs next time. They
    could very well be, but I won't know more until I know more regarding that
    which I don't understand. Understand?
    Indeed. And as it should be...

    Thanks, Bill, for your reply and input,
    Ken