    enough) you just can't get the same quality print on a commercially
    available and realistically priced inkjet printer, as you can if you
    take them in to a place like Ritz to be developed.

    Novakaine, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Novakaine

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (Novakaine) wrote in
    For bulk prints I take the photos to a lab. It's still cheaper to print
    pictures at a lab.

    However, I recently purchased a Canon i860 5-ink printer (a mid-range
    printer) and it does a fantasitic job of outputs. Printers over the past
    couple of years have improved tremendously. A Canon i860, i960, or i9xxx
    series printer will make fantastic prints on glossy papaer that even the
    most fussy will be impressed with.

    Lucas Tam, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Novakaine

    Bluenose Guest

    I bought a Canon S9000 wide format printer for about $350. Results, with
    Canon Pro paper, are amazing. I don't know about long term durability of
    the image, but no one has been able to tell them apart from silver halide
    prints.

    Bluenose, Feb 29, 2004
  4. I have been using Costco for smaller prints for general use (friends,
    family, etc.) because I can't compete with them. My serious work (larger
    prints) is still done in my office, but I am starting to doubt that is my
    best choice. It's nice to crank out a print or two on your own, but the
    printing services are worth looking at.

    Charles Schuler, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Novakaine

    Canongirly Guest

    As an aside I know of three "high street" minlab style operations within 50
    miles of me in the UK that offer printing services to "pro" photographers.

    They do this for three reasons

    1. Pro and Volume photographers haven't got the time, will, or resources to
    do all their own printing on inkjets. (How long would it take you to bash
    out 200 sets of 1-10 x 8, 1-8 x 6 and 2- 5 x4's using an inkjet for
    example?)

    2. Most amatuers who have switched to digital now only print about 5% of the
    photos they take and of those 90% are done on inkjets at home. Therefore
    most high street labs are seeing serious shrinkage in their volume. With
    Frontiers costing around £120 000 to buy (or around £30000 a year to lease)
    plus running costs that's a serious issue.

    3. Most high street operations can seriously undercut "pro" labs and still
    make a profit.

    Canongirly, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Novakaine

    Ron Andrews Guest

    I use ink jet only for quick prints intended for temporary use. For
    anything serious, I use the thermal printer at work or send them to Ofoto.

    Ron Andrews, Mar 1, 2004