    I haven't seen anyone say that 24 is the maximum number of drives and/or
    partitions ( C - Z )
    :p

    Brian H¹©, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Emrys Davies

    why? Guest

    <snip>

    Um.... I thought I just said that and also posted a couple of links to
    sites explaining RAID earlier in the thread. Maybe you meant to tell
    someone else?
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Emrys Davies

    why? Guest

    Why would that matter yet or at all in this thread so far?
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Emrys Davies

    why? Guest

    Only 8 devices, try 10 using a mobo with 2 SATA channels + 8 on IDE1-4
    if only the case / PSU was big enough then the SCSI kit from another PC
    could be moved over for 13.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Emrys Davies

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Because the question in the subject line says "How wany hard drives on one PC"

    Brian H¹©, Dec 31, 2003
  6. Emrys Davies

    why? Guest

    Not counting RAID sets of course where multiple drives appear as 1 drive
    letter. Sort of like 32 SCSI disks and a selection of IDE devices.

    Me

    why?, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Emrys Davies

    1234 Guest

    1234, Dec 31, 2003
  8. Emrys Davies

    Offbreed Guest

    Unless you actually need to have all those in at once, you might
    consider getting a hot-swap tray. That would allow you to back up your
    system to a second hard drive and stick it in a drawer or box. You
    could also use one of the other drives as storage for seldom used
    files/data, and incidently keep what is on it safe from viruses,
    hackers, etc.

    You can also get USB port attachments for the extra hard drives, but
    then you'd have the extra clutter in your computer area.

    Offbreed, Jan 1, 2004
  9. Emrys Davies

    cabinboy Guest

    Well, no, I don't really need that many HDs is that I had 2 different ones and then I bought 2 identical new ones with
    the idea of setting those 2 new in a RAID 0 configuration that I could not get to work.
    I want to note here that there's a limit to the number of HD that you can have, SCSI, IDE, SATA or whatever, and that
    makes the project of having many devices almost impossible that limit is the wattage of the power supply.
    A HD let's say of 100GB will draw a constant 10 to 15W total on the 5V and 12V supply even when idle, the motor never
    stop as long as the PC is on and the HD connected. (the 12V supply is for the motor)
    Add to that the motherboard, the video and other cards, the devices, the CPU and all the fans, lights, bells and
    whistles and the load on the power supply becomes very critical.
    My humble opinion...
    See yah!
    cabinboy

    Visit http://www.my-forums.com

    cabinboy, Jan 5, 2004
  10. Emrys Davies

    Computer Administrator tk

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    The answer is 8 Hard drives and 2 DVD/CD burners. The way you do this is put in 3 pci cards with 2 SATA hook ups on each card giving you a total of 16 TB in the SATA section and 2 more IDE drives at 500 GB totaling 17 terabytes. Since 1 terabyte equals 1,000 gigabytes that's a total of 17,000 gigabytes on one computer !!! The new SATA has 3 terabytes per drive so if you get those that is a total of 23 terabytes per computer. So 8 Hard Drives and 2 DVD RAM/ burner drives is your answer feasably. Sincerely tk/Computer Administrator

    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Computer Administrator tk, Mar 31, 2011
  11. Emrys Davies

    Computer Administrator tk

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    8 Hard drives possible 2 are stock(Buy 3 PCI to internal SATA cards-2 per slot/ 3 slots total)

    Computer Administrator tk, Mar 31, 2011