    when you uninstall the application.

    Thinking about the drain on resources, how many fonts would be too
    many? I currently have 152.

    GraB, Jan 16, 2006

  2. My approach to this problem is to have a second fonts folder –
    Fonts_Hold – and transfer to it any fonts other than the system fonts
    loaded with the operating system.

    Fonts I have added myself remain in the original folder.

    Many programs load variations of 'standard' fonts to circumvent
    copyright issues. Programs for making cards, etc often load a raft of
    fonts of very dubious quality, and these are the first to go.

    If after a period none of the programs I use frequently or
    occasionally fail to display properly, I can then remove the unused or
    unwanted fonts.

    Noting that Windows counts the regular, italic, bold and bold
    italics as four fonts, I'd say that if you have more than 60–70 fonts
    loaded you will have a number that can be removed to the Hold folder

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Jan 16, 2006

  3. GraB

    aum Guest

    Ooh, you might be red-lining it somewhat. Anything over about 200 and
    windoze, especially the 9x versions, starts having aneurisms. Something
    about it being hardwired to keep all fonts in memory whether in use or not.

    I made the mistake of installing 1500 fonts off a CD once. Wasn't a pretty
    sight.

    aum, Jan 17, 2006
  4. GraB

    Old Bill Guest

    Never really thought about this before - on checking, I have 567 fonts
    loaded.

    Problem will be - which ones to safely remove?

    Old Bill, Jan 17, 2006
  5. GraB

    Rider Guest

    Yeah, I've seen a pc slowed down to the speed of an old calculator due to
    approx 3000 fonts.

    Rider

    Rider, Jan 17, 2006
  6. Hi there,
    That shouldn't be too bad, but depends on yer hardware...if you
    notice slowness when clicking on a dropdown preview list of
    them then perhaps its time to clean out some you don't use or
    like...

    I've installed around 600, but I'm using KDE desktop in Linux on
    an Athlon64 platform. The font preview lists in OpenOffice and Gimp
    are pretty much instantaneous. Dragging the slider from one end
    of the preview list to the other is also smooth as a babys bum...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 18, 2006
  7. The limit to the number of fonts that you can have installed on a
    Micro$oft Windows box is dictated by the maximum size that a registry key
    can be.

    Thus, depending on the number of characters in the name of the font, you
    can have more than a thousand fonts installed - and sometimes, more than
    twelve hundered fonts without adversely impacting on the performance of
    well written software.

    Only having 152 fonts installed... is absolutely nothing to worry about.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 18, 2006