    verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
    other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
    4.7 GB object to burn?

    Raxxy, Apr 8, 2004

  2. Raxxy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Nope, you've pretty much got it. Put aside a day or two for this tedious
    task (I've been there and done that). ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Raxxy

    Non Guest

    If you can find good quality 8x media that is recognized at 8x by your
    drive... burning at 8x will take about 8.5-9 minutes per disk. I
    wouldn't recommend burning at 8x with 4x media however, if you want
    the disks to last.

    Non, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Raxxy

    Chuck Guest

    get a 100mb hard disk with an external case , will be faster

    Chuck, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Raxxy

    mrbingley Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    :: get a 100mb hard disk with an external case , will be faster

    Do they still sell hard disks that small ?

    Chris ;-)

    mrbingley, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Raxxy

    Joe Hayes Guest

    No, the smallest you can get is 40GB.

    Joe Hayes, Apr 8, 2004
  7. Raxxy

    smh Guest

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=
    (Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

    ( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
    ( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

    4.7G = 4.7*1000**3 = 4.3*1024**3 = 4.3G

    smh, Apr 8, 2004
  8. Raxxy

    Martin S. Guest

    In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

    Martin S., Apr 9, 2004
  9. Raxxy

    rwright Guest

    My experience indicates that this would take about 4 months. And even then
    you won't have a good DVD.
    Trust me --buy a stand alone DVD burner.

    rwright, Apr 9, 2004
  10. Raxxy

    Chuck Guest

    What the hell are you talking about ????

    Chuck, Apr 9, 2004
  11. Raxxy

    Mark Jones Guest

    It is even worse than that. For the DVD, it is 1 billion bytes which is
    even less than 1000 MB

    Mark Jones, Apr 9, 2004
  12. Raxxy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    To backup computer files? Your experience must have been exceptionally bad,
    which may or may not have been your fault.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 9, 2004
  13. Raxxy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    You sure about that? That's like saying in the algebra world, 2+2=4, but in
    the geometry world, 2+2=4.5.

    8 bits = 1 byte. 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte. 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte.
    Those numbers are mathematically derived, not arbitrarily chosen. Is the
    number pi also different on DVD? ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 9, 2004
  14. Raxxy

    Lordy Guest

    The latin prefixes Kilo, mega, milli etc have well established meanings in
    the scientific world based on powers of 10. They are different in the PC
    world when measuring memory. Discuss...

    Lordy

    Lordy, Apr 9, 2004
  15. Raxxy

    TCS Guest

    1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte
    1024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte
    Lazy programmers use powers of two, 1GB=2^30
    Marketers wanting high numbers use powers of ten, 1GB=10^9

    TCS, Apr 9, 2004
  16. Raxxy

    Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Fri, 9 Apr 2004 05:26:06 -0700]:
    In the Hard Drive world, 1000 bytes = 1 megabyte, why would DVDs be
    different?

    Justin, Apr 9, 2004
  17. Raxxy

    TCS Guest

    In the HD world, 1 megabyte=1000000 bytes

    TCS, Apr 9, 2004
  18. Raxxy

    Justin Guest

    doh. Yeah. Too little coffee this morning.

    Justin, Apr 9, 2004
  19. http://pcguide.com/intro/fun/bindec.htm

    timothynadeau

    timothynadeau, Apr 9, 2004
  20. Raxxy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    You are correct. They are slightly different when applied to binary
    language for reasons of binary structure. Since there are no prefixes that
    mean "1024", these prefixes are considered "close enough". This is a
    well-established and accepted convention. Though I suppose it could be true
    and I just haven't heard about it, I highly doubt that DVDs (which are
    simply another digital storage medium and store the same bits and bytes as
    any other disk) are exempt from this nomenclature. Feel free to either
    prove me wrong with a reference, or let me know that I took the hook. ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 9, 2004