    Rob W Guest

    I am just wondering how long it should take as far as study time, on average for the MCSE exams?

    I took and passed my Network+ exam about a month and a half after I started studying for it. I am basically studying after work for about 2 1/2 hours a day 4 days a week. I thought that I was pretty damn smart with computing. I am finding though, that where Comptia is direct with their questions, ex: "What layer of the OSI model is responsible for encryption?", Microsoft spends a whole paragraph with the scenario before you even get to what they want to know. I am not giving up, but I have been working on 20-715 for about 2 months, and just now do I feel brave enough to take the exam. I am wondering if I am just a moron, or is this stuff really as hard I am thinking it is. It does not help any that I read these posts of dude who are starting on a exam one week and have passed it a week later.

    Rob W, Sep 19, 2003

  2. circa Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:51:31 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Rob W () said,
    Which would say to me that you put good study into it.
    See above.
    Sounds good to me.
    That's in some ways the nature of the material.
    That's what it's like in real life. You have to know how to separate
    the wheat from the chaff, and if nothing else, the exam question
    format MS uses at least gets you thinking in that direction.
    Excellent; as I said, that would say to me that you have been
    actually *learning* instead of *memorizing*.
    You aren't, and it is, particularly if you're new to it.
    And those people generally can't troubleshoot their way out of a
    paper bag, and employers with a clue don't hire them.

    Don't stress it. Do it at your own pace. For me, I'd be leery of
    hiring somebody who did the exams at a breakneck pace without putting
    in the groundwork. I'd be *much* more inclined to hire somebody who
    really learned how the stuff works rather than memorizing test
    questions.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Rob W

    Dragon Guest

    To add to Laura's comments,,, Study for Pro and Server exams and count on
    spending lots of time on practice and study. It For these two exams I would
    guess about 3 months. After that you might be able to push 1 exam a month if
    you count on not having any life during that period.

    Good Luck.

    Dragon, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Rob W

    Adam Embrey Guest

    I started studying for 70-210 last saturday and passed the exam Wednesday.
    I am studying for 70-215 and 70-218 right now. I will be taking 70-215
    Tuesday and 70-215 the following Wednesday.

    Did I get too fuzzy of a feeling passing the pro test with so little effort?
    I have about 3 1/2 years of experience as an administrator of a small 500
    user AD forest with about 15 servers that I manage.

    Adam

    Adam Embrey, Sep 21, 2003
  5. Rob W

    Rob Guest

    Thanks Laura, and Dragon.

    Your comments really put things in perspective. I appreciate you
    taking the time to respond.

    Thanks.

    Rob.

    Rob, Sep 21, 2003
  6. circa Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:23:03 -0500, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Adam Embrey ()
    said,
    The key there is that you already are in the field and have the
    experience. That's a whole different ballgame than somebody just
    starting out.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 22, 2003