    processor, 512 Mb RAM, a WD 80 Gb hard drive in four equal partitions
    and Windows 98SE. 10 hours seems ridiculous to defrag this big a drive.
    Is this normal, or are there alternatives?

    rfdjr1, Sep 10, 2003

  2. rfdjr1

    riz Guest

    When was the last time you defragged?

    wrote in message ...

    riz, Sep 10, 2003

  3. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    I don't remember exactly, but it's been a while, like a couple of
    months. If that's the problem, I accept the responsibility! I just
    didn't know why it would take that long. One point though, although my
    operating system is obviously on this C drive I defragged, most of the
    work I do, especially when it comes to adding and deleting files, is on
    another partition, so I wouldn't have thought a lot of things are
    actually moved around on the C drive. I could be all wrong in that
    thinking though.

    rfdjr1, Sep 10, 2003
  4. rfdjr1

    mdp Guest

    Did you use Windows defrag. I've had similar experience with MS' defrag and now use Norton's defrag. It's very fast compared to
    MS'. Even for a heavily defragmented drive, it should complete in under an hour, sometimes much faster.

    mdp, Sep 10, 2003
  5. rfdjr1

    trout Guest

    Try the tips here:
    ┬░Mike┬░'s defrag page: <http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/defrag.html>

    trout, Sep 10, 2003
  6. rfdjr1

    miss calm Guest

    I am no expert but I just had my PC upgraded and the Defrag ran in twenty
    minutes. Now that I have fully loaded it with programs it has slowed down
    and I believe it is because one of my programs (AV or firewall or other)
    keeps becoming active every five minutes or so. Once this happens (Its
    called "writing to the drive.") the whole thing has to restart again and
    again.
    Now the question is, is your Defrag very very slow or is it constantly
    restarting?

    miss calm, Sep 10, 2003
  7. rfdjr1

    miss calm Guest

    I meant to add that you can press Ctrl+Alt+Delete which will bring up a menu
    of running programmes. Close all these programmes except Systray and
    Outlook. That usually greatly speeds things up.

    miss calm, Sep 10, 2003
  8. You may have forgotten that the Internet cache, which includes all the
    graphic widgets that are part of web pages you download, is probably stored
    on that c: drive, and that this file is constantly turning over--therefore,
    it really garbages up the drive.

    Try defragging in another week. If it takes less than an hour, stretch the
    interval to two weeks; otherwise, you've discovered the optimum interval.
    Lather, rinse, repeat.

    Gary G. Taylor, Sep 10, 2003
  9. rfdjr1

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Pick up the defrag.exe from Windows Millennium. It's MUCH faster than
    the stock one in Win98/SE.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Sep 11, 2003
  10. rfdjr1

    Fokker Guest

    Fokker, Sep 11, 2003
  11. rfdjr1

    miss calm Guest

    Hey that sound like a good idea. I must try it.

    miss calm, Sep 11, 2003
  12. rfdjr1

    miss calm Guest

    I think washers like Norton (Utilities) are very useful and their Win/Disk
    Docor (On the same CD) helps to keep the machine running smoothly.

    miss calm, Sep 11, 2003
  13. Clean out your temp files.

    You can also clean up your Internet brower. Go to start, settings, control
    panel (click), Double click on Internet Options. Gerneral tap, you will see
    Delete files click and check box about all offline content if you have it,
    click OK. If you have delete cookies, click on it then click OK.
    Click on Clear History, then click yes.
    Note: this will clean out all pass words, and internet addresses your
    browers has in it. But in may run faster after you clean it out and defrag.

    Click on Advanced tab, spool down to Security then check the Empty Temporary
    Internet File folders when browser is closed then click OK. This will help
    empty the folders, but you must close IE.

    Then Defrag. This will help your defrag and computer speed.

    Fred Sherrill, Sep 11, 2003
  14. rfdjr1

    Boomer Guest

    Why tell Gary G. Taylor this?

    Boomer, Sep 11, 2003
  15. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    I always run Defrag in Windows Safe Mode rather than closing all
    programs running in the background. This way I know for sure that
    there's nothing else running.

    rfdjr1, Sep 11, 2003
  16. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    I run Norton Clean Sweep a couple times a week, as well as Easy Cleaner
    to clean out my registry of unnecessary junk. This should clean out the
    temporary files, right?

    rfdjr1, Sep 11, 2003
  17. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    I use Netscape instead of Internet Explorer. Are all these settings, and
    clean out procedures strictly for IE?

    rfdjr1, Sep 11, 2003
  18. rfdjr1

    john Guest