    Ciao,
    Mark C
    Nashville, TN

    Mark C, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    .......allow me to clarify.......they have been shot and, if still viable,
    should contain some good images.

    Mark C

    Mark C, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    "Roland Karlsson" wrote > Hi Mark - why do you ask us? :)
    Only you can know if the films may contain anything of value.
    Personally I would have made it a try - but that is because I am who I am.

    Mark responds:

    When I pose the question it is with the hope that someone with more
    experience than I will respond with sound advice. If the majority of the
    have deteriorated over the years.....then maybe I would simply not waste my
    money......know what I mean.

    Mark

    Mark C, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Take the chance. What are we talking here, USD$20 max for three rolls
    of film? I have not developed any slide film in a long time.

    If they look like crap then at least you tried. If they don't then
    there is no telling what you might have thrown away.

    But you should try.

    Andrew McDonald, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Mark C

    HRosita Guest

    Mark C wrote:

    Hi Mark,

    Exposed film deteriorates much faster than not-exposed film.
    I found a roll of Fuji film in my camera bag that had been exposed some 5 years
    ago
    and had it developed because I was curious. It was worthless.
    If there is a lab in your area, call them and ask them if it is worth the
    money. Personally, I would just pretend I never found the film and pitch it.
    Or you can try to have one film processed and see what develops (pun intended).
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jul 23, 2003
  6. At an average $8 a roll (significantly less in other places), I would chance
    it on the hope that there were some pictures of value.

    fox2fromgunshotlead, Jul 23, 2003
  7. Go for it. It's my understanding that reversal film is much more forgiving
    than print film. I know for a fact that this is the case for Kodachrome, but
    I'm not so sure this also applies to Ektachrome and Fujichrome, which use
    the much simpler E-6 processing. In any case, just let the processor know
    what happened and they'll take it from there. I hope you find some treasures
    in those rolls.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Mark C

    c0smic Guest

    I recently found some exposed film in one of my dads old
    cameras. It was over 20 years old. Got it developed at
    Wal-Mart. The photos had the appearance of extremely
    under-exposed film. But with some Photoshop work I was able
    to bring quite a bit back.

    c0smic, Jul 23, 2003
  9. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    I have decided to take Rosita's advice and get one roll developed.....and
    see what turns up.....I will let you all know how it comes out.

    Thanx for all the responses.....

    Mark

    Mark C, Jul 23, 2003
  10. Mark C

    Steve Roys Guest

    You'll never know until you try. Sell your car for the $, or take out a
    loan and have them developed.

    Steve.

    Steve Roys, Jul 23, 2003
  11. Mark C

    Nikhil Deo Guest

    If I were you:

    I would definitely give it a shot.

    Go to a pro shop and develop only one of them if you do not want to waste
    more money.

    Nikhil Deo, Jul 23, 2003
  12. Mark C

    EDGY01 Guest

    << came across one roll of Ektachrome
    and two of Fujichrome film that had not been developed.......the last time I
    shot slide film was over 15 years ago. Do you think the years would have
    taken it's toll on the film and I should just toss them in the trash >><BR><BR>

    The latent image begins to deteriorate immediately on film. The only thing we
    are aware of that suspends or lessens the effect of age upon th latent image is
    cold. If the films were all kept in a freezer at 32ºF/0ºC since 15 years ago
    they stand a chance of having something visible on them. If not kept like that
    they will be virtually worthless.
    As others suggested, have one of the rolls developed and it may give you a clue
    of (1) how well they survived and (2) jog your memory as to what's on the other
    rolls. With some films with family members who are long gone, there may be no
    amount of money that would prevent you from trying to at least recover them.
    Don't take them to the usual place for development. Take them to a custom lab
    and there they can do a snip test to see how much of an adjustment they may
    have to make to recover an image.

    Several rolls of undeveloped but exposed black and white films were found at
    one of the earth's poles a few years ago and they developed them,--and
    recovered images! The films were from the 1920s. That is a RARE example and
    they had a limitless budget for dealing with trying to save an historic record.

    Dan Lindsay
    Santa Barbara

    EDGY01, Jul 25, 2003
  13. Mark C

    jake Guest

    I recently asked a similar question in the rec.photo.film+labs group and
    received the following reply:

    -----------
    Email the following lab. They specialize in doing that kind of work in
    the UK, and should be able to tell you what the best way to proceed
    would be, what to expect, and their success rate:

    http://www.processc22.co.uk

    Here is another lab, located in Canada, that will handle overseas
    orders. They provide a broader selection of services, and the
    discussion and samples on their web site will give you a better idea of
    what needs to be done to old film to get a reasonable image.

    http://www.filmrescue.com

    ---------

    I'd suggest you visit the sites and have a read through the information.
    There's probably similar labs in the US, which a Google search should
    throw up.

    (In my case, the films are exposed 20-year old Agfa transparency and
    negative roll-films.)

    regards

    jake, Jul 25, 2003