    after taking 8000 photos. I'm just wondering, how long have other
    peoples cameras lasted under normal, gentle use? Thanks,
    Colin
    colinnewsgroup at hotmail.com

    colinnewsgroup, Oct 24, 2005

  2. colinnewsgroup

    Paul Allen Guest

    My 4 1/2 year old Olympus C700 is still working fine. The silver
    finish is just starting to wear off the corners of the case, and
    the red paint around the edges of the power button has worn off.
    It's got one hot pixel that shows up in low-light shots. My
    database has a bit over 8500 images, and almost all were taken
    by the C700. I treat it carefully, keep it in a padded bag,
    have never dropped it, etc.

    My brother has had two cameras in the past three years. The
    first was a Canon 2.1MP point-n-shoot. It's lens recently
    popped a cork. Its automatic cover popped off, exposing the
    lens and sundry springs and things that really shouldn't be
    hanging out. The lens won't retract when it's powered
    off and the camera won't take pictures. The second was a
    Konica/Minolta Z5 that lasted about a month before locking
    up and going back to be fixed under warrantee.

    On the other hand, I have an Olympus OM-2n that I bought in
    1976 at Cameras West in Seattle. I still remember the guy
    who sold it to me expecting that I would go with the cheaper
    Canon AE1. Other than the battery running out three times
    over the course of its life and a whole role of film not
    advancing to record sunset at Monterey in 1979, the OM-2n
    has never failed me. I paid $500 for it. I paid $600 in
    2001 dollars for the C700, and I think I got about that much
    inflation-adjusted quality.

    From my very tiny knot-hole, consumer digital cameras are
    designed and manufactured for a lifespan similar to personal
    computers. If you get five years out of one, you're pushing
    it. I suppose things are a little different with pro-level
    dSLR's, but their price is closer to what I paid in 1976
    dollars for that OM-2n.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Oct 24, 2005

  3. colinnewsgroup

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I have an old original Canon Elph (S-100) sitting on my desk
    beside me.. It's about 4 years old. I just got a new
    battery for it. It works fine.

    I also have a Canon 10D which has given me 2 years of very
    heavy service.

    I had a Canon Pro90IS that I owned for a year and sold. It
    never gave me problems either....

    Jim Townsend, Oct 24, 2005
  4. colinnewsgroup

    ASAAR Guest

    Late last year after the approximately 5 year old NiMH battery for
    my Canon Powershot S10 was no longer able to hold a reasonable
    charge it was replaced. The camera works as well today as when it
    was new. It also was treated gently.

    I suspect that some of Canon's cameras, such as the Powershot S
    and G series (now up to S80 and G6) are built a little better than
    others in Canon's lineup. Where the A70s fall I can't say. No
    line of cameras ever made has been 100% failure free. The Canon
    A-series might not be built as ruggedly, or you may simply have
    gotten one of a very small percentage of well built cameras that was
    unfortunate enough to have failed. Some others more familiar with
    the A-series might know more about their life expectancy. I'd guess
    that very few A70s fail as soon as yours did, but it's only a guess.

    ASAAR, Oct 24, 2005
  5. My Nikon 990 from 2000 is still going strong, although that of my wife
    (which is used more and in damp outdoor conditions) needs a touch of
    switch-cleaner on the mode switch from time to time.

    Davdi

    David J Taylor, Oct 24, 2005
  6. colinnewsgroup

    Dimitris M Guest

    My old Nikon 995 have take about 30.000 photos and still working. I have use
    it for more than 3 years before buy the D70 at Okt 2004.

    As for the D70, I have take till now about 30.000 photos also.

    Both cameras work fine, except that 2 of the 4 spare batteries of 995 have
    now reduced capacity.

    Dimitris M, Oct 24, 2005
  7. I am a complete jinx when it comes to electrical and electronic equipment.
    I went through several SLR cameras in a couple of decades. My last SLR
    still works with the exception of the on-board flash which gave up one day
    for no apparent reason.

    My digital (Olympus C2100) seems to be faring slightly better. It must be
    approaching its fifth birthday. It's had one repair from Olympus, in June
    last year, for what was probably a case of the famous Oly "sudden death
    syndrome". Since then, and apart from that, it has worked fine.

    So my limited experience is that digital cameras are at least as long lived
    as SLRs. On the other hand, some people seem to be able to continue to use
    the SLR donated to them by their great grandad without any problems.

    For what it's worth, I am not as fastidiously careful with my camera as
    other respondents. The Oly has been dropped at least once (albeit in a
    padded bag) and doesn't seem to have suffered unduly from the experience.

    Darn it. Why did I say all that? It's _bound_ to go wrong now.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Oct 24, 2005
  8. Thanks for your comments everyone. I am glad that people are having
    better luck than me!
    Colin

    colinnewsgroup, Oct 24, 2005
  9. colinnewsgroup

    Rich Guest

    Olympus C-3040, 4.5 years, worked perfectly, then I got a C8080
    and sold the C-3040, still working perfectly.
    -Rich

    Rich, Oct 25, 2005
  10. colinnewsgroup

    Paul Bartram Guest

    The 990 / 995 models were (are) pretty robust. My 995 would probably have as
    many shots on the clock as yours! The main switch is probably the only weak
    spot, sometimes needing a squirt of switch cleaner after some years. The
    swivel joint - the thing you'd expect to give problems - actually seems very
    tough.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Oct 25, 2005
  11. colinnewsgroup

    tlai909 Guest

    Kodak DC4800 - works fine for a 3 to 4 year old camera.

    Except the lens does not retract any more... one of the gears is
    gone???

    Unsure.

    T.

    tlai909, Oct 25, 2005
  12. colinnewsgroup

    Jim Guest

    All are fully functional and cosemetically excellent for their respective ages.

    Nikon F Bought in 1969 still going.
    Nikon N90s 5 years old
    Voightlander Perkeo I 45 (?) years old
    Nikon D70s 1 month.

    Jim, Oct 25, 2005
  13. colinnewsgroup

    Rina Guest

    Olympus C3000 bought June 2000... still in use, no problems
    Olympus c2100 bought Feb 2001... still in use, hand grip came off,
    developed a couple of bad pixels, both were fixed under my extended warranty
    that included free cleaning & checkup.

    Rina

    Rina, Oct 25, 2005