    Would there be heavy water at the deep parts of the seas? - or is that a
    daft question?
    Hope you don't mind my asking, I am in a funny mood..

    anthonyberet, Apr 4, 2004

  2. anthonyberet

    ICee Guest

    http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae365.cfm

    ICee, Apr 4, 2004

  3. anthonyberet

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, anthonyberet
    postulated...
    According to http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laureates/1934/press.html it's
    1kg plus 1 hectogramme (?)...

    Whereas, as we know, one litre of ordinary water weighs one kilogramme, one
    litre of heavy water weighs about one kilogramme and one hectogramme, which
    approximately corresponds to the increase in the weight of the molecule. Its
    freezing-point is +3.8° instead of 0° (that of ordinary water), and its
    boiling-point is 1.4 degrees higher than that of ordinary water. It is more
    viscous than ordinary water and the solubility of salts in it is less, etc.,
    etc. It has furthermore proved possible either wholly or partially to
    replace by heavy hydrogen the ordinary hydrogen that is a constituent of
    ammonia, hydrochloric acid, acetic acid, sugar, albumen, etc., etc. As heavy
    and light hydrogen thus - in contradistinction to previously known
    isotopes - possess different chemical characteristics, it has been thought
    advisable to bestow on them individual names. Urey calls heavy hydrogen
    deuterium and ordinary hydrogen protium. The reaction velocity for ordinary
    hydrogen or ordinary water respectively, as compared with deuterium or heavy
    water respectively, has proved to differ on occasion, as has also the
    ultimately obtained yield of the reaction. Among chemico-biological effects
    there may be noted: that alcoholic fermentation proceeds more slowly in
    heavy than in ordinary water, that the sprouting of tobacco seeds and the
    evolution of yeast fungi are delayed or checked, etc., etc. Atomic nuclei of
    heavy hydrogen, when propelled as rapid projectiles by an electric field
    have proved to be exceedingly effective in the breaking down of atoms and in
    transformation of elements in conjunction therewith. Radio-sodium produced
    by that process may perhaps prove to be of medicinal importance.

    slumpy, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Fist hit on Google for phrase heavy water yields:

    http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/sno/D2O.html

    Find mass of a liter of water. Calculate.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 4, 2004
  5. anthonyberet

    ICee Guest

    This one gives a little more detail:
    http://www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=69

    ICee, Apr 4, 2004
  6. anthonyberet

    joevan Guest

    Snipped a lot to prevent paralysis of the mind.

    Ok now lets hear what you know about Christmas trees.
    joevan

    joevan, Apr 4, 2004
  7. anthonyberet

    Guest

    Hmm - does half heavy water count as heavy water? (half heavy water =
    one regular hydrogen atom, one atom of deuterium and one atom of
    oxygen) Then there's also tritium (hydrogen with two protons) although
    that's radioactive and emits a beta ray to become helium 3 IIRC.

    In nature, there should be far more half heavy water than D2O just as
    there is far more hydrogen with no neutrons than deuterium.

    Of course, if you buy something called "heavy water" it has been sorta
    manufactured - you take regular water and put it in something like a
    centrifuge to separate the various varieties of water.

    Regular water has a neutron + proton count of 18.
    D2O has a n+p count of 20.
    Water with one atom of deuterium has an n+p count of 19.

    Electrons and the difference in mass between a neutron and proton are
    too small to worry about for most purposes.

    So it would be 1111 grams/liter for D2O and 1055 for water with only
    one Deuterium atom.

    , Apr 4, 2004
  8. anthonyberet

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    Can you drink it?

    Rodney Kelp, Apr 4, 2004
  9. anthonyberet

    ICee Guest

    ICee, Apr 4, 2004
  10. anthonyberet

    crynwulf Guest

    So it would cost about $15,000 to knock off my billionair uncle

    crynwulf, Apr 4, 2004
  11. anthonyberet

    Juan Pérez Guest

    In
    Damn you, slumpy..now you've made me cry.... sad stories

    Juan Pérez, Apr 4, 2004
  12. anthonyberet

    x@y Guest

    Hello "ICee"!!
    I Visited the above link You posted.
    It says a person can drink 50% of his/her weight of heavy water
    and
    still survive.

    No Thanks, I am not going to change my prescription
    that is light wine, red or white.

    x@y, Apr 4, 2004
  13. anthonyberet

    Mike Trozzo Guest

    Is it a liter of European or African heavy water?

    Mike Trozzo, Apr 4, 2004
  14. anthonyberet

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, joevan postulated...
    You stick lights on them, they leave needles in your socks and stay in your
    front garden for a whole year after use.

    slumpy, Apr 4, 2004
  15. anthonyberet

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, Rodney Kelp
    postulated...
    Aye, but only at a ratio of 1kg:1kg + 1 hectogramme - otherwise it makes
    your farts extremely wet.

    slumpy, Apr 4, 2004
  16. anthonyberet

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, Juan Pérez
    postulated...
    It would make a great movie JP, Hollywood here I come ;-)

    slumpy, Apr 4, 2004
  17. anthonyberet

    Linda Guest

    Sounds like engine coolant for my car.

    Linda, Apr 5, 2004
  18. anthonyberet

    geothermal Guest

    Arg, Monty Pyton Holy Grail humor or humour....ATCMB.

    JM

    geothermal, Apr 6, 2004
  19. anthonyberet

    Prai Jei Guest

    slumpy (or somebody else of the same name) wrote in message
    I read somewhere that the maximum density point of heavy water is even more
    removed from the corresponding property of ordinary water - a figure of 11
    deg C comes to mind.

    How do the properties of heavy water as enumerated above and elsewhere,
    correspond to those of water formed from ordinary hydrogen combined with
    oxygen-18? Both forms have a molecular weight of 20 but different weight
    distribution. I would imagine H2O(18) would have properties much closer to
    those of common water.

    Prai Jei, Apr 9, 2004
  20. anthonyberet

    tadchem Guest

    http://physchem.kfunigraz.ac.at/sm/Service/Water/D2Odens.htm

    Note the maximum density is at about 10° C.

    Tom Davidson
    Richmond, VA

    tadchem, Apr 10, 2004