    2. How good is :dragon naturally speaking software ?

    Thank you for your input.

    Anna

    anna, Apr 23, 2006

  2. anna

    thanatoid Guest

    I'm not sure what Celeron M 350 means, but for Dragon I believe
    you need at least 1GHz speed. Memory should be OK but if you run
    XP, you SHOULD have 512 no matter what you do. Of course, you
    shouldn't run XP in the first place, but that's another subject.

    Try to find Kurzweil Voice Pad, over ten years old but will run
    fine, and not that much worse than Dragon. Just no bells and
    whistles and you have to speak slowly. I was quite disappointed
    with Dragon - and I have a 2GHz machine. Not to mention it's not
    cheap.

    Or just take a typing course. I find typing faster than either
    of the programs mentioned above, and I don't even use 10
    fingers.

    thanatoid, Apr 23, 2006

  3. anna

    Bucky Guest

    I know of someone running version7 on a 650Mhz laptop. There was a
    noticeable effect on the speed with some applications but not
    significant enough to interfere with the normal operation. I would
    guess a slower machine would find it dragging. I don't know how the
    latest version would run.
    A colleague has used it for a number of years and seems quite
    satisfied with it. He said 'training' it was the most tedious part of
    getting it up and running.

    Bucky, Apr 23, 2006
  4. anna

    Bucky Guest

    Dragon calls for a 500Mhz proc and 250Mb Ram.

    Dragon will open and close applications. Run toolbar menus too. It
    can almost replace a keyboard and mouse. Will Kurzweill do that? I
    know some of the other voice recognition software available will do
    that but I have not had the chance to evaluate them.
    The only people I know using Dragon have difficulty using a keyboard
    and mouse. Things like fingers or arms missing.

    Bucky, Apr 23, 2006
  5. anna

    thanatoid Guest

    Not to the extent that Dragon will, but it does have a voice
    command component.

    As a minor aside, IMO Ray Kurzweil is one of few true geniuses
    of the last 50 years. He has done some AMAZING things for the
    benefit of humanity, in a variety of fields. Look him up.

    As for voice-command opening/closing programs, running menus,
    filling you screen with 50 dancing clippys without opening M$
    Office, making your coffee, etc, I am afraid you will have to
    wait another 5 or 10 years before any machine or program will do
    that correctly.

    At the rate we're going, if any humanoid is still even walking
    on this planet, by then we will all be so retarded and
    brainwashed it won't even matter.

    thanatoid, Apr 24, 2006